Fairy Ring Oracle: Imbolc - 1st card

LilRed

Card Imbolc
Fairy Festival

Imbolc is a Celtic holiday that is about February 1st, at the time when the days first start to get longer.

It means resurgence, purification, freshness, originality, new beginnings.

In reverse it means stagnation, stalemate, lack of progress, boredom, decline, depression.

The fairies test the weather and decided if they should come out or not.
Remind anyone else of Groundhog’s day?

What do you think of when you read the text?
What do you see on the card?

ncefafn

First, my sensual impressions: The swirling triskele of snow beneath a waxing crescent moon, the signal of new beginnings, things just beginning to grow. A fairy clad in purple sweeping away the snow, to make room for the flowers to bloom. Ice-covered, bare tree branches forming a frame. The fairy mound with its slender opening -- is there a mist beginning to form there, to pour out? A lilac light shimmers on the pre-dawn eastern horizon. Another fairy, also clad in purple, watches the fairy mound, waiting for developments.

Emotional impressions -- holding my breath, hopeful, the beauty of the wintry weather combined with the knowledge that its frosty edges will soon be softened by the warmth of the sun. Energy is swirling, preparing to take form in matter.

Textual impressions -- I'm familiar with the Brigid myths and the celebrations of Imbolc, having been through my last one just three weeks ago. At our festival, we set out fresh cream, which is mirrored in the snow on the card, and reiterates the textual explanation of purification and freshness. Who hasn't enjoyed the lovely taste of snow ice cream, Brigid's gift to us at this still wintry time of year? The snow and the cream represent the flowing of mother's milk from Brigid's breasts, to feed the child born to her on Yule.

My take on the card in divination -- fresh starts, hopeful new beginnings, recovering from a period of depression or illness, renewal.

Kim

LilRed

My personal thoughts

When I drew this card for the group I thought it was very appropriate that it showed up as the first card we should study considering it does mean new beginings. The swirling fairies in the center make me thinking of the trinity knot, and the continuing cycle of change. I see the change in the seasons as you start at the top of the card and work your way down, I see the winter in the trees and the fresh green grass at the base. While looking at the card I feel like looking around the curve to see what is next in anticipation and it fills me with a type of...almost restlessness that I am staying still.

WooMonkey

Text--"At Imbolc, many fairies come out of their winter resting places to test the weather." After I read this sentence I looked at the card, and wondered where this scene could be. I used to go to school in Detroit, and early February was still very cold and icy--no fresh green grass yet! The move from winter to spring is less pronounced here in the SF Bay area, without snow.

This is a particularly beautiful card. I can REALLY feel the movement of the white spirits coming out of the fairy mound. At the same time however, there is a still, waiting feeling brought about by the fairies at the top, and bottom right corner. It looks more like winter than spring, with the ice and snow still there.

:)

ncefafn

What would your impulse be to say if you got this card in a divinatory reading?

CloeCat

The first thoughts that hit my mind in responce to the give text meanings are:the first a wakaning or awareness of coming changes.

When I look at the card I first notice the triskele spirals are flowing windershine-to the left, which I know to be the triskele of Land, Sea, Sky. This tales me that the realms are breaking (melting) down the winter cloak to prepare for spring.

In a reading I would liking say, "you are aware of or feel a need to prepare for change, a new phase is coming...." or some such, depending on other cards. In a yes/no-one card reading I would say, "yes, your feeling or intuition is confermed."

purple_scorp

Hi all,

I've been reading your posts and sitting on the edge, dipping my toe in, because I've not really known what to say.....now I'm ready to put my foot in, but only to the ankle, lol.

I don't know if I get a feeling for what this card would represent in a reading. That's why I'm here to learn from all of you.

So, I decided to describe what I see in the card, and what it means to me. I love the colours in this card. In fact, I would love to have this in a big print up on my wall.

The first thing that drew my attention was the whispy bits of white in the middle of the card. Obviously a sign of action - because of their circular direction. So, this would indicate a renewal - something cyclical. The sprite(?) moving off to the right, is lying on her back and moving effortlessly, so that tells me that it is a seasonal (not forced) change.

The mound in the middle reminds me of where the tellytubbies live. Not sure what that means, lol. Because I'm into astrology, I did notice the crescent moon in the middle and the stars too but I didn't feel they had a particular relevance to the card's meaning, other than to indicate nightfall. Perhaps this is a reminder too off something cyclical - for the sun will surely rise again tomorrow.

According to the book, a "hag" at the front sweeps the ground. I must say that she is particularly attractive for a hag. I can tell that her broom is magical but what I couldn't work out is whether she was actually creating snow, or sweeping it away. Is she pro spring, or is she hanging onto winter? If she was sweeping the snow away, then I would say that she is helping nature on its way - urging spring to come quickly. However, what if she was actually creating the snow because she wasn't ready to let go of winter?

I haven't got very far, have I? In summary, a seasonal change that occurs without effort - part of nature's cycle. The way we accept this change will depend on our mindset.

purple_scorp

ncefafn

purple_scorp said:
According to the book, a "hag" at the front sweeps the ground. I must say that she is particularly attractive for a hag. I can tell that her broom is magical but what I couldn't work out is whether she was actually creating snow, or sweeping it away. Is she pro spring, or is she hanging onto winter? If she was sweeping the snow away, then I would say that she is helping nature on its way - urging spring to come quickly. However, what if she was actually creating the snow because she wasn't ready to let go of winter?

I think you've hit on something very important here, purple_scorp. There are two legends about Cailleach, the old woman of winter in Scottish mythology. The first is that she is jealous of her season, and wants to keep winter year round. According to this legend, she has kidnapped Brigid and holds her hostage in her cave, until Cailleach's son comes to rescue her. He and Brigid run away and get married, and with Brigid's freedom comes spring. The other legend is that Cailleach is merely the crone form of the triple goddess, and that at spring, she goes to a sacred spring and drinks from it, transforming herself into Brigid. With this transformation comes the transformation of winter into spring.

So I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't matter whether the hag is sweeping the snow in or out, she's still Cailleach, and spring is still coming, will she or nill she.

:)

Kim

purple_scorp

Hi Kim,

I must say that when I joined this group, I didn't realise that I'd be learning about the associated myths and legends that you are sharing with us. So, just to say thanks. You are adding a very important dimension that I would not have otherwise known about. :)

I guess this card shows that we will always face change whether we like it or not. It is inevitable.

purple_scorp