found while researching...

Malachite

Scurried off to my Sikhism research, and found some lovely quotes, that I had to post...!

:Sikhism rejects the idea of circumcision.

"Because of the love of woman, circumcision is done; I don't believe in it, O Siblings of Destiny. If God wished me to be a Muslim, it would be cut off by itself. If circumcision makes one a Muslim, then what about a woman?" (Bhagat Kabir, Asa, pg. 477)

: Sikhism believes that people of different religions are equally capable of achieving salvation while still following their own religion

"The temple or the mosque are the same, the Hindu worship or the Musalman prayer are the same; all men are the same; it is through error they appear different. Deities, demons, Yakshas, heavenly singers, Musalmans and Hindus adopt the customary dress of their different countries. All men have the same eyes, the same ears, the same body, the same build, a compound of earth, air, fire, and water. Allah and Abhekh are the same, the Purans and the Quran are the same; they are all alike; it is the one God who created all. The Hindu God and the Muhammadan God are the same; let no man even by mistake suppose there is a difference." (Guru Gobind Singh, Akal Ustat, pg. 275)

Wow...Wicca, but 500 yrs older!

The 5 symbols are necessary for the strength and unity of the religion and also for the value each had. All Sikhs were to have Kesh or uncut hair, a Kanga or the comb to keep this hair neat and clean, Kaccha or the underwear worn as a symbol of agility and readiness for action, Kirpan or sword which is an emblem of courage and adventure to be used for defensive purposes and lastly, Kada or the Steel bracelet to remind the sikh of his bond to the God.

like the Holy Underwear....
This is actually fun to research...a religion that isn't too far up its own arse!...

amyel

In uni, I took a course on Islam and was interested to find out what "pure" Islam is really about. Not what it has degenerated into (at least in the eyes of Western society). For example, it is commonly believed by many in the West that woman are treated as lesser beings because Isalma says so. But this is not true in pure Islam. Women were very highly considered and could even own/inherit property, far earlierthen they could in Christian societies.

So, it just goes to show ya that it is humans who feel the need to twist and to gain power who massacre religions - not particulraly the religion itself.

The same thing happened in Christian beliefs.

Umbrae

I have always believed, that religions were just fine, as long as man is kept at arms length.

Beware the religion that claims heaven as its own.

Malachite

A council of Bishops was convened in the Middle Ages to decide whether Women were really to be considered human...the pro-woman party won the argument by 1 vote....

eesh!...

Kiama

Malachite: Greta research! I love Sikhsim already!

Kiama

Maan

malachite i read about that discussion.
Weren't they wondering if women went to heaven!
From whom came that one vote??????

( anti women but wearing a dress???? just an observation;) :) )

Malachite

Welll....obviously they had dress jealousy...they didn;t want to be outdone!...

moondust

Interesting facts while researching Sumerians.

The Sumerian myths about the great flood echo most others about God or the gods punishing humanity for it's violent and greedy behavior, but also as an additional note blame the human behavior on "over-population".

The Sumerians had over 3000 dieties!!!!!!
Their gods and goddesses were known for quarreling amongst each other all the time.
The humans at that time were said to be suffering from chronic anxieties from having to appease all of the dieties.

Perhaps the gods and goddesses were overpopulated also?
"As above so below"??

moondust