Getting your own cards while doing somebody else's?

kimtsan

Has this ever happened to anyone before? Sometimes I will be doing a reading for someone, and then the cards would turned out to be for me. The first time it happened, I thought to myself: how similar this person is to me and I feel so connected! But it wasn't until I received feedback that I realized that the reading was meant for me...except I expected to give away the reading, so I was kind of interpreting my cards from a "third-person" perspective, if that makes sense.

This happened again recently when I was doing a love/relationship reading for someone. I happen to be going through some love/relationship issues as well, and then the cards that turned up were too close to home that I eventually came to the conclusion that they were for me--and they were. For some reason they were exactly what I needed.

Any similar experiences?

CrystalSun

In my experience that's impossible. The cards respond to the querent energy. Unless, when the reader (in this case you) is thinking about himself and the querent's question which would be odd. The reader should know that is not his personal reading to think that the cards send messages for him.

As a reader you need to be VERY objective. To not take anything personally and to focus on the querent question not yourself.

HeatherRose

I have never had the cards come up for myself, but I did have an experience where I went through an entire reading and then the person told me it had nothing to do with them, and everything to do with her best friend, what at that time was also her roommate.
So, either her energy was caught up in her friend's situation at the time, or maybe her friend needed info more than she did.

Alea

... Is it bad that when I read that, I imagined Seven Stars comic? xD

Ica'rus

I'm new to all of this but I believe this happened to me last night. I used a deck that has been trying to tell me something lately, as a specific card has shown up each and every time I've drawn from it. Well I drew a card for someone last night and it was that card again. I switched decks and tried again, and I received what turned out to the correct card.

I don't know whether that was right or wrong, but I feel as if the deck I tried to use first only wants to answer me.

nisaba

When you read for someone else, you put your own stuff aside. If you are emotional (positively or negatively), all that gets suddenly cleared away. You become empty, clear. There is nothing of you left, essentially, for the cards to reflect - it is all about your client.

Grizabella

In my experience that's impossible. The cards respond to the querent energy. Unless, when the reader (in this case you) is thinking about himself and the querent's question which would be odd. The reader should know that is not his personal reading to think that the cards send messages for him.

As a reader you need to be VERY objective. To not take anything personally and to focus on the querent question not yourself.

When you read for someone else, you put your own stuff aside. If you are emotional (positively or negatively), all that gets suddenly cleared away. You become empty, clear. There is nothing of you left, essentially, for the cards to reflect - it is all about your client.

Exactly what they said. And you also have to keep your own feelings about the situation they're asking about out of the reading. If someone asks for a reading about someone else that you think is a jerk or is wrong for them, you cannot allow your own feelings to color the cards so they reflect your opinion. You have to be able to read the cards totally impartially. Otherwise all you use the cards for is to create a foil for trying to control other people's situations and that's not right at all. That's abuse of the gift of reading the cards.

Ica'rus

Not trying to hjack Kimtsan's thread but I see what you are all saying. I'm new to all of this, and my experience when this happened was a 1 card reading, but when I drew the card I wasn't focused and I've been emotionally turbulent lately, so I understand why the card that showed up, did. I tried again with better focus and my reading was correct that time.

kimtsan

I have been taking a break from readings to do some inner work. Some of the love/relationship issues from my past are resurfacing and I felt that it was finally time to face them honestly. I think deep down inside I knew this needed to happen so when I did the love/relationship reading for someone else, even though I was focusing on the question, subconsciously I must have been reaching out into my own psyche.

Interestingly the first time that happened I wasn't focused on myself. I wasn't having any issues at the time either so I don't know what happened. I might have been self-conscious about the reading though...ah that was probably it. I remember I was a bit unsure about what spread to use because my querent asked me a collection of miscellaneous questions and I was trying to organize them by theme.

But yeah...thanks for sharing your insights.