GLBT Lenormand: serious questions here

Fame

Okay, so:

I live in Brooklyn, New York (the center of hipsterism in the USA, among other things) and a HUGE percentage of the people I read for are gay, bisexual and (especially) transgender.

I am aware that there are Lenormand decks that come with two men and two women cards, but to be honest, that just doesn't cut it. Half the people I read for don't have *any* preference when it comes to the gender of their lover, so when I go looking for the characteristics of a potential mate, I am at a loss to pick between the man and the woman card. Moreover, their potential lover may be somewhere very very much in between "man" or "woman."

I have thought about using the dog card, as it represents a companion, but to me that kind of throws everything off. What if, in a love reading, the deck wants to tell the querent that they should be interested in someone they have already met - or that a friendship will develop into something more? It's an important symbol to lose.

I love these cards, but we have to admit, they were invented in -- what, the 1790s? -- and thus are a little at a loss when it comes to predicting certain kinds of desires in 2014.

So I guess what I'm asking is, has anyone else discovered any other creative workarounds for this kind of thing? Does anyone else have this problem? I know I'm going out on a limb here.

Chanah

I'd say just use the deck. The way it is. That may sound a bit odd, but when you're looking at relationship stuff, you always need context - so you really don't want to lose the Dog, or the Snake, or the Bear, or the Rider, or the Gent, or the Lady. You just don't. In these kinds of reading situations, again - context. What are the Heart, the Ring, and the Anchor doing? Those are your cluster of love and relationship cards. See where it leads. And when in doubt - ask your querent.

Just get your mind off the idea that there can be only one card to represent the lover, because, really, there are quite a few that can fit the bill.

Lil Red

You can use rider for another man and the snake for another woman. Another method you can use are the court cards that is on the lenormand.

I usually just use 2 men or 2 females when reading the same sex relationship.

WolfyJames

You can always buy another copy of the deck you use and add to this deck the necessary significators from the second when you do these readings.

danieljuk

there is a wonderful old thread with lots of insight on this here

I think you could ask the person how they want themselves or a partner/ potential lover in the spread represented. In my own spreads I tend to pick the man for me and woman for a lover. This is not because I am suddenly intending on turning straight but I read somewhere once that the other sex card represents a partner in a generic way. This could offend some people though but it works well for me!

In the Minute Lenormand there is a fortune teller card, I tend to pick that for me and then pick gentleman for lover/ partner.

New York sounds great to read in Fame! :thumbsup:

ana luisa

Here's a suggestion. Use a blank card or make one. Or, better yet, if asking about a specific person, make a copy of their picture and add to the spread. I strongly believe decks are not to be seen as "sacred". They are pieces of paper who give you amazing insight. Period. As far as I know, I would use what I suggested or ANY card, for that matter to represent a potential suitor. Even the key could represent a person if shy and reserved :)

Try to consider starting to set yourself free from only seeing people in a deck as PEOPLE. How do you know the object is representing a person and not an object in itself ? You will know. It may take practice but believe me, the more you go out on a limb, the easier it gets. Good luck !!

Le Fanu

Just charge a card as object of affection. I find that I am using two same gender cards less and less in Lenormand decks and happily use the Rider as the object of (gay) male affection and the Snake for women. However, you could charge the Heart card if you're unsure with clients. You still have Ring as commitment etc. Or the birch or Lilies as sexuality. You decide and charge accordingly.

The cards may date from the late 18th Century but all human experience is there.

My doubt with using the extra male cards ( for example) is how do you do a Grand Tableau with 37 cards? Or do you substitute it for the Woman card? But what if a woman is involved in the situation? And vice versa if it is for a same-sex female reading.