Good books on astrology and alchemy that I could use in relation to the Thoth tarot??

Dryope

Hi everyone,

After a busy year in which I havn't had much time to study the Thoth tarot seriously (and also didn't visit this forum for a while), I would like to pick up on my studies again.

Lately I have been reading about Qabalah; 'The mystical Qabalah' by Dion Fortune and 777 by Aleister Crowley.
Now I would like to broaden my knowledge on astrology and alchemy to gain a better understanding of the cards in the Thoth tarot deck.

Does anyone have any tips on where to start?
What are good books on these subjects (astrology, alchemy and Qabalah as well), in which there is information that I could use in relation to the Thoth tarot?

Thanks in advance!

ravenest

First of all I would ask if you read the appendixes in the back of 777 ... they help to explain a lot. if unfamiliar with basic astrology alchemy Id say start with the basics. I like Liz Green's astrology due to its psychological approach but it may not be basic.

Dryope

Thank you for your reply, I do know some of the basics of astrology, but I don't know much about alchemy.
I guess I will just do some reading on the internet and then see if I come across any books that I like.

Zephyros

ravenest, can you say a few words about alchemy in the Thoth? I know the basics (salt, sulphur, mercury) in a very basic way, and in time would like to expand on that, but there isn't much to go on. It would help if I could know what I don't know, to point me in some direction.

ravenest

ravenest, can you say a few words about alchemy in the Thoth?
:) I can ... better to ask for wise words though ... you seem to have quiet good insight lately and I have enjoyed reading your posts ...

My special field is 'Earth and Agricultural Alchemy' ( the field in the field :) ). I have little understanding of metallic alchemy. Also I am keen on 'psychological alchemy'.

The Alchemy in the Thoth? Ooooo <rubs chin>.... perhaps start an "Alchemy in Thoth deck' thread and ask some questions ... otherwise I am liable to go off on a tangent that wasn't required (like I nearly did in the 'Gay tarot cards' thread - but I got closed out ... dang! just when I solved the 'problem' ) ... see ... another tangent.

I know the basics (salt, sulphur, mercury) in a very basic way, and in time would like to expand on that, but there isn't much to go on. It would help if I could know what I don't know, to point me in some direction.

Need questions to target what you don't know.

Abrac

Dryope, do you have Crowley's Book of Thoth as a PDF you can search? I'd start there as he has some interesting things to say about alchemy and it pertains directly to the cards. If you don't already have it, it can be downloaded here:

http://www.occult-underground.com/ebooks.html

It's in the "Tarot" category. That website is getting a good collection of ebooks. They've got a lot on alchemy. They're ZIP files and when you download & unzip them they have PDFs inside.

ravenest

Yes, good Idea . Its best (in this case) to focus on the alchemy as represented in the Thoth deck and the Book of Thoth is a good source for that. Perhaps if people then have questions about THAT they can post and we can brainstorm ?

Dryope

Dryope, do you have Crowley's Book of Thoth as a PDF you can search? I'd start there as he has some interesting things to say about alchemy and it pertains directly to the cards. If you don't already have it, it can be downloaded here:

http://www.occult-underground.com/ebooks.html

It's in the "Tarot" category. That website is getting a good collection of ebooks. They've got a lot on alchemy. They're ZIP files and when you download & unzip them they have PDFs inside.

Thanks for the link, I have the book of Thoth on my bookshelve, maybe it's time to 're-read' it, I will look into other alchemy books on the website too since I would like some more background info on the subject.
I found these webpages, I hope they are any good since it's hard to jugde when you don't now much about it:

http://www.soul-guidance.com/houseofthesun/alchemyintro.htm

http://www.esotericonline.net/group/alchemy/page/alchemy-lesson-1-basic-principles