Help with interpreting a dream...

starburst_au

Not sure where this post will end up, or if I'm posting in the correct section...

So I had a dream last night, and actually remembered
Flashes of the dream.
I'm writing a thread for this, as lately I haven't
Remember my dreams and I woke up thinking there was
Some significance of that dream...

I can't actually remember the sequence of events
In the dream, it did actually feel like snippets
Of images.

So, I'm wondering if you wanted to help me unpack the dream?

Here is what I remembered:

* I was viewing a small girl about (3-4) years old standing next to
A black headstone. I remember reading the headstone, thinking in the dream I need
To remember what was on the headstone. All I can remember was
'Vanessa' was in huge letters on the headstone.
I remember the small girl having piercing brown eyes just staring at me

*the next image that I remember was a heart shaped jewelry box made from glass (it felt like it was a jewelry box bit it looked more like a pot puri holder lol.

The heart shaped box had a very ornate black lid that was made from metal . In the dream, this box was flipping around so I could see the box from all angles. Nothing was in the box, it was just clear.

So, I'm thinking my dream has something to do with the death of something and rebirth and possibly something about my heart? Or the need to look at my love life from lots of different angles??

No idea about who Vanessa is or the significance ?

Thoughts ?

Cheers for your thoughts,
SB

LovelyMissAries

What's the main focus been in your life for the past few months? For whatever reason I thought of the heart not as a symbol of love, but symbolic of life itself. If the heart isn't functioning the body can't function even though the body itself is much more powerful than the heart by itself.

Second, the black lid on the box and the black headstone. It's random but I see significance like the black lid was a smaller version of the headstone. I also think the small girl standing next to the black headstone, and the adult woman holding the smaller black lid (from the box of course) is significant but I haven't put it together yet, but it just made me think that something that was a big deal to you before, isn't a big deal now and it's a sign of maturation (the problem being symbolizes by the black headstone and you unknowingly being the little girl, and then you growing up and realizing you're bigger than the problem and it doesn't take up so much room in your heart)?

Also. It was a jewel encrusted heart shaped box - so I think that symbolizes something you cared about, but it was something nobody else knew or few people hence the "black lid / black headstone" theme. The fact it's a headstone made me relate that to our thoughts too. What if it's literal and talking about your head / face, and the jewel encrusted box is really a symbol of you wanting make-up? (We make-up / decorate our face, as you decorated the box) Now I'm just taking stabs in the dark, but… *shrug*

I don't think there's any significance on the name "Vanessa" unless that's someone you know.

Maybe?

Flames

Vanessa is a greek baby name which stands for "butterfly". Does that mean anything to you?

Glass is also associated with clarity or transparency, being able to see something for what it is and not how you want to see it. Also, a heart shaped box made of glass tells me that it's fragile and is easily breakable if not handled with care. The metal can be symbolic of something more enduring and adds an element of protection or a barrier to the heart in order to keep it safe and from harm.

I like what you said about seeing the box from all different angles..possibly seeing an important relationship in that way, but kind of being separate from it, as an observer, playing it safe...so that you don't get hurt.

Black is the colour of the feminine. It's receptive, mysterious and intuitive. It can also represent something that's hidden from you that you need to look at. Your subconscious is trying to show you something, to bring light to something that is perhaps, right now, in the dark, for you.

So let's say that "butterfly" is symbolic of freedom and you see Vanessa on a black headstone, what could that mean? Do you feel a sense of freedom slipping away? The butterfly is also symbol of transformation which is connected to the headstone when we consider the "Death" card. It's a very powerful symbol. So a caterpillar from its cocoon emerges into a butterfly...there's tons of symbolism there when you consider the phases it needs to go through to become a butterfly. :) It's also a symbol of vulnerability and when I think of the heart shaped glass/metal box...I see a sense of fragility again...a need to be protected.

Just some thoughts.

ana luisa

An important question would be "how did you feel about the girl ?" . To me, it seems you and her were related in a previous life . The heart-shaped box alludes to a heart connection. And because it is used to keep jewels inside, they are things that we cherish and keep for a long time. You also mentioned pot-ppourri: made of flowers that "died" but that you keep and make they smell still. You keep them alive somehow...The reason why the heart was turning may allude to the fact that a long time has passed (cycles and cycles) but she is still linked to you for some reason.

starburst_au

Thank you lovelyMissAries! much appreciated to bounce some ideas around with some awesome people on the forum.

What's the main focus been in your life for the past few months? For whatever reason I thought of the heart not as a symbol of love, but symbolic of life itself. If the heart isn't functioning the body can't function even though the body itself is much more powerful than the heart by itself.

***That's interesting. The main focus on my life over the past few months has been dealing with change, both professional, family and personal life... so the heart, I guess is really symbolic.

Second, the black lid on the box and the black headstone. It's random but I see significance like the black lid was a smaller version of the headstone. I also think the small girl standing next to the black headstone, and the adult woman holding the smaller black lid (from the box of course) is significant but I haven't put it together yet, but it just made me think that something that was a big deal to you before, isn't a big deal now and it's a sign of maturation (the problem being symbolizes by the black headstone and you unknowingly being the little girl, and then you growing up and realizing you're bigger than the problem and it doesn't take up so much room in your heart)?

***Yeah there was a black head stone, but a woman wasn't holding the box it was just flipping around, with like white light all around it.... bits and peices of the dream are coming back to me lol.

***The day that I posted this, so the night after the dream, I had to get something out of my mum's car, so I grabbed her car keys and on her key chain I noticed a metal ornate heart pendant (like filigree patten in the heart) which was similar to the heart shaped mental lid in my dream. So I think you've picked up on something about my mum moving away (My mum has recently moved a great distance away from me, to another location)

***So growing up resonates and also, and being a little girl and realzing that I can deal with her moving away, and it won't take up so much room in my heart (me missing her) when I get back into the swing of things...

Also. It was a jewel encrusted heart shaped box - so I think that symbolizes something you cared about, but it was something nobody else knew or few people hence the "black lid / black headstone" theme. The fact it's a headstone made me relate that to our thoughts too. What if it's literal and talking about your head / face, and the jewel encrusted box is really a symbol of you wanting make-up? (We make-up / decorate our face, as you decorated the box) Now I'm just taking stabs in the dark, but… *shrug*

** the jewerly box wasn't encrusted, but yeah the link with caring is surely there.
It could be a lot of things related to my 'heart' and feeling stuff at the moment, generally speaking. Lots of change is happening, and a few days ago, i was feeling a tad over whelmed... I asked the 'universe' to feel a bit more grounded, and deal with the changes that i'm experiencing smoothly - I think it actually worked.

I don't think there's any significance on the name "Vanessa" unless that's someone you know.

Maybe?

Yeah, NO idea who Vanessa is?

Thanks for your thoughts! It's helped me further unpack the dream. It was just strange, that I don't usually remember a lot of my dreams, but this one stuck with me.

Cheers,
SB

starburst_au

Hey Flame,

Thanks for helping me also unpack my strange dream. It's much appreciated.
Yeah there are literally dozens of meanings I could pull from this dream!

Vanessa is a greek baby name which stands for "butterfly". Does that mean anything to you?

*** Vanessa doesn't mean that much to me, in terms of anyone I know... but butterflies make me think of my father who passed away a long time ago... Like when I see butterflies flying around randomly, I think - "Oh Hi dad"

Glass is also associated with clarity or transparency, being able to see something for what it is and not how you want to see it. Also, a heart shaped box made of glass tells me that it's fragile and is easily breakable if not handled with care. The metal can be symbolic of something more enduring and adds an element of protection or a barrier to the heart in order to keep it safe and from harm.

*** Ah I think you're onto something there, as I give some feedback on this thread. Totally about being fragile with my own heart, and feelings and emotions I have currently been feeling due to LOTS of change in my life. So the transparency and the easily breakable, and having an element of protection to keep myself safe (not be overly emotional about the changes that are occurring does make a lot of sense)

I like what you said about seeing the box from all different angles..possibly seeing an important relationship in that way, but kind of being separate from it, as an observer, playing it safe...so that you don't get hurt.

*** Yep, Totally. Not with my mum (as I spoke about before) but with someone else, for sure.

Black is the colour of the feminine. It's receptive, mysterious and intuitive. It can also represent something that's hidden from you that you need to look at. Your subconscious is trying to show you something, to bring light to something that is perhaps, right now, in the dark, for you.

*** Yeah, that's interesting. If i separate my mum stuff (so moving away) from the dream and look at the dream from a different perspective, needing to look at something (relationships in my personal life, and perhaps realising the end of things, or the other flip side of things new beginnings.... life after a death, and the child standing near the headstone, indicating a bit of immaturity on my behalf as well... emotional immaturity?)

So let's say that "butterfly" is symbolic of freedom and you see Vanessa on a black headstone, what could that mean? Do you feel a sense of freedom slipping away?

*** OH FOR SURE! I totally feel like a sense of freedom is slipping away. With my mum moving away, she won't be able to babysit my daughter and there will be less 'freedom' from that. As she was always able to help out where needed and just spend time with my daughter as well.

The butterfly is also symbol of transformation which is connected to the headstone when we consider the "Death" card. It's a very powerful symbol. So a caterpillar from its cocoon emerges into a butterfly...there's tons of symbolism there when you consider the phases it needs to go through to become a butterfly. :) It's also a symbol of vulnerability and when I think of the heart shaped glass/metal box...I see a sense of fragility again...a need to be protected.

*** Yeah the fragile stuff is surely there. And the death / transformation stuff for sure. I mean i'm almost being forced to take on a lot of new responsibilities in all areas of my life and that sense of care - free(ness) feels like it's going lol. It's not really but I have a tendency to panic and go ARRRRRRGH! Then I settle into change, and it's not so bad if you get what I mean.

Just some thoughts.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It was most helpful.

Cheers,
SB

starburst_au

Thanks ana luisa for sharing your thoughts! It's much appreciated :D

An important question would be "how did you feel about the girl ?" .

*** The girl was strange. She looked a lot like my daughter, but she wasn't my daughter. She did seem familiar to me. I didn't feel that the young girl in the dream was a representation of myself as a young child. But that sense of familiarity was there.

To me, it seems you and her were related in a previous life . The heart-shaped box alludes to a heart connection. And because it is used to keep jewels inside, they are things that we cherish and keep for a long time.

*** The relation to a past life, yeah that could be the case and the heart shaped box, yeah for sure something related to my heart / feelings / emotions and things that I cherish.

You also mentioned pot-ppourri: made of flowers that "died" but that you keep and make they smell still. You keep them alive somehow...The reason why the heart was turning may allude to the fact that a long time has passed (cycles and cycles) but she is still linked to you for some reason.

*** Ah yeah cycles and still keeping things alive resonates with me in my personal life!

Thanks again for helping me unpack stuff.

starburst_au

Thank you!

Thanks ladies for helping me unpack stuff.

I'm thinking the dream was about feelings / emotions and being vulnerable at the time. And the death of things, and also the rebirth of new things.

Dreams are very strange at times!

Cheers,
SB

headincloud

Hi, I'm with flames on the name interpretation, just throwing some ideas about could it be a reference to contact with your inner child hence the death theme, transparency, transformation, seeing to the heart etc.