Help with research? Origins of esoteric Tarot thought..

andy h

I was wondering if anyone can help me with some research i'm doing on the tarot, i do read the cards myself, but am trying to research the origins and inevitable questions
this throws up. I am aware that the answers to these questions may lie in exisitng threads, but do not have time to read through all of them :(.If this is the case , please link me to relevant thread!

1.) Would i be correct in assuming that 70% of western esoteric tradition is in agreement with the overall meanings of the cards?

How and why do the meanings deviate?

Poor research?(focus on getting paycheck for book ;) incompetence, egotism(i have ascribed this cards 'real' meaning that no one has hitherto got before!), Or something else?

An example:

two of pentacles usually means 'change' , in one deck i own the book and author say it relates 'to monetary matters'?!!
obviously 'change' could represent financial matters, but obviously not exclusively. Whats the earliest text ascribing meaning to the minor arcana whose imagery does not speak as clearly as the major arcana?(is there a specific text that was the catalyst for the western tarot tradition, and what was the earliest text that ascribed the meanings to the minor arcana or were the images originally prevalent in the cards originally clear enough to invoke archetypal themes?.Obviously, when linked to sephiroth in the qabbalah, a cohesive pattern emerges, but this was a much later development in tarot thought)

As well as some info, can people name me the most ridiculous differences they have found in meanings ascribed to major and minor arcana cards?:)

p.s - i'm aware of the changes crowley made to the tarot , thoth being my tarot of choice :)

2.) I'm currently looking into the game of triumph,the tarots supposed original purpose..i've heard the tarot cards orig had 56 cards , but expanded, how, when and why did this happen and how does this affect the validity of tarot?(especially with regards to divination)

Ay info or help on the above

many thanks

Andy

Grigori

andy h said:
1.) Would i be correct in assuming that 70% of western esoteric tradition is in agreement with the overall meanings of the cards?

How and why do the meanings deviate?

Poor research?(focus on getting paycheck for book ;) incompetence, egotism(i have ascribed this cards 'real' meaning that no one has hitherto got before!), Or something else?

I think different perspective, different querant, different philosophy are more likely. There is no correct meaning, so everyone publishes their own individual take on the cards/experience.

Whats the earliest text ascribing meaning to the minor arcana whose imagery does not speak as clearly as the major arcana?(is there a specific text that was the catalyst for the western tarot tradition, and what was the earliest text that ascribed the meanings to the minor arcana or were the images originally prevalent in the cards originally clear enough to invoke archetypal themes?.

For the minors, it might be useful to read this thread in terms of hermetic tarot and its development.

As well as some info, can people name me the most ridiculous differences they have found in meanings ascribed to major and minor arcana cards?:)

p.s - i'm aware of the changes crowley made to the tarot , thoth being my tarot of choice :)

I don't think is any such thing as a ridiculous meaning. There's just personal variations.

2.) I'm currently looking into the game of triumph,the tarots supposed original purpose..i've heard the tarot cards orig had 56 cards , but expanded, how, when and why did this happen and how does this affect the validity of tarot?(especially with regards to divination)

It would be better to ask that question in the History section, though my understanding is that's a myth. The idea that tarot started as regular playing cards and evolved is not that accurate.