Hitting roadblocks

SkadisPhoenix

How do you get around them?

Most of mine, admittadly (sp) are to do with money, and change of plans, but even so.

I'm making good progress I think, I've got the Pentacles and Swords completed and typed up, and the Major Arcana are all typed up as well, other than Judgement, and I'm going to work on the Wands today once I've had a bath and washed my hair (it's going to be tough... :neutral:)

The Judgement card is completely beyond me at the moment, and I don't know why, so if anybody has advice about that card, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I WAS going to do my cards in acrylic paint, but I think that's going to be too bold and solid for how I want my cards to look, and I've not used watercolour paints before, so I was thinking that I'd use watercolour pencils instead, what is the general view on using watercolour pencils?

*shakes head* It's not like I'll be able to buy them any time soon anyway, though I might be able to persuade my sister to buy them as an early christmas present. :)

ETA: Also, where the HELL do I start with the Court Cards?! I've been trying to ignore them, but I have a feeling that the bath I'm about to take with help me with the Judgement card, as I just had a brief flash of an image, while the Wands and Cups won't take me too long either so next week I'll be starting on the Court Cards, and I'm REALLY not sure how to go about it! :neutral:

SkadisPhoenix

Well scrap what I asked about Judgement, because I've got the Judgement card typed up, and completed, which means that my Major Arcana is done, and once I've done the wands and cups, and the court cards, I'll be able to start drawing up! :D

Hannafate

Sometimes, all you have to do is ask. :D

Watercolor pencils are a lot of fun. You can get a lot of the lovely effects of watercolor, but have more control. Get some and play around with them.

Another possibility is ink washes. You can buy bottles of transparent ink in lots of colors, and use a medium, pointed brush. The difference from watercolors is that you don't have to mix anything, and the the colors are more translucent. You can do calligraphic style strokes.

SkadisPhoenix

See that sounds a lot more expensive, and as stingy as it might sound, I've barely got the money for food (hence why I'd be begging the pencils off my sister! :neutral:), and I actually REALLY like mixing! *laughs*

Hannafate

*looks furtive, and leans forward conspiratorially*

Don't spread it around, but a lot of my drawings are done with markers from the "office supply" or "toys" sections of the local discount store. You can get a lot of markers in a lot of colors for only a few dollars.

Use an eyedropper to put a few drops of 50% rubbing alcohol and water in the back end of them when they start drying up. You can get a lot of mileage out of those things!

The important thing to remember with the cheap markers is that they fade quickly when exposed to sunlight, so scan everything right away, and keep it out of the sun.

You can use a slightly wet brush to soften the edges of the marks, too.

SkadisPhoenix

*suppresses giggles* That's my kind of thinking! I used to have SO many, as a result of doing a teaching degree (I changed my mind about that, it was HELLISH on placement!), but gave them to a friend who lived with a woman and her 5 year old son, and I figured he'd be better off with them! :p

Hexi

food colouring

A really cheap source of wonderful colours is food colouring. Just put a few drops into a foam egg carton, you can make all the colours from the primaries. Use just like inks, or watercolours. Thin down for pastels, or dab with toilet paper or paper towel. Sprinkle salt on to the wet colour to create magical patterns.

The colour is long lasting and translucent, so you can mix your colours by layering as well. You do need good watercolour paper, hot pressed which is smoothest. Also very expensive. Mayfair paper is good too. You want a fine smooth surface for scanning.

Remember to tape your paper down with masking tape around the edges so the paper dries back flat. Then if you want to add details with watercolour pencil crayon or prismas,pen and ink or felts you can. Have fun.

Tarot Bear

Brilliant!

Hexi said:
A really cheap source of wonderful colours is food colouring. Just put a few drops into a foam egg carton, you can make all the colours from the primaries. Use just like inks, or watercolours. Thin down for pastels, or dab with toilet paper or paper towel. Sprinkle salt on to the wet colour to create magical patterns.

What a really good idea..... I would never have thought of that.....

Hannafate

Having been a "cheap" artist for many years, I have gotten into the habit of looking at everything as a potential art supply.

Nail polish, eye shadow, toast crumbs, old newspaper, dryer lint...

The problem with non-standard materials is that they are often fragile or fugitive. Materials that are un-expectedly oily will develop dark halos over time. (sharpies do this) Colors may flake off or fade or turn strange hues. So, photograph or scan immediately!

If you can, document all of your work. This will give you a record of your progress. Later on, if you are getting frustrated, you can look back at your earlier work, and see that you have indeed, improved.

The great advantage of cheap materials is mental freedom. When you are still learning to make your hand do what your brain wants, the last thing you need to worry about is wasting valuable material.

DO get decent paint-brushes, though. The dollar store ones are too clumsy.

Go to an art supply store, and get someone to help you choose one or two versatile, mid-range brushes. Always wet your brushes before you use them. (water for water-based media, thinner for oil-based) This helps prevent paint from drying at the tops of the bristles. Never soak them, or stand them on their bristles. Wash them out with dish soap and warm water as soon as you are done. If you take care of a good brush, it will last for many years.

Some very successful artists have made their careers with tempera paint and markers. Frank Kelly Freas was one. http://www.bookpalace.com/acatalog/FreasApostle.jpg