How does it works in 3 card spreads?

ivanna

Hello.

I'm studing quite a lot. In fact some days I end with a horrible headache, and I'm thinking that it's due to be thinking all day on tarot. I do not why but I can not keep it out of my mind. May be so many things to read and learn.
Well, I decided to start with small spreads. Just 1 or 3 cards. And I have a doubt regarding to 3 cards spreads.

There are so many possibilities interpreting the cards on each position that now I have many doubts.

If I make a 3 card spreads, for a question, I like to interpret them as a combination, or maximum, thinking about past, present and future, for positions 1, 2, and 3. For me thats all. If anyone (a spirit, god, or whatever is behind tarot) is behind me when I shuffle the cars, how will I know that this spirirt (or what is behind) is telling me that first one will be the consultant, the second one the wife, and the last one the marriage situacion?

How you can determine the meaning of the card positions and be sure that's is in this way?

Thank you!

Zephyros

Short answer, you can't, but that's part of the appeal. Tarot isn't a science, it is an art, and you do what feels right for you. A three card spread like the one you're describing may center on one topic, but it's actually three questions, one card for each time frame. There are no certainties in Tarot, only insight into questions, as each answer is essentially a question, so you trust yourself and do the best you can.

Rev_Vesta

It is important to know that you and the client is in control of the questions asked.

be clear about the questions you are asking. I find writing them down helps...

Write down and say this card relates to the past ... this card relates to the present this card relates to the future.

or These three cards relate to what is going on right now (if reading in a combination)

If you decide to ask specific questions for eaach position then be clear about each question.....

You are the reader, you decide how you are going to read the Tarot cards.....

You decide on which spread you are doing..........

ivanna

thank you.
And when you are shuffling the cards, you think about the question, and also on the spread and the card positions?

Zephyros

thank you.
And when you are shuffling the cards, you think about the question, and also on the spread and the card positions?

However you feel is right. Tarot is not about the mechanics of the reading.. It isn't as though you can completely botch up a reading if you miss a step, shuffle wrongly, with the wrong hand or anything like that. Me, I use no positions, I let the spread itself allow them to surface organically. I also don't ask questions, I "feel" them. By some people's standards, I do everything wrong, but it works for me. Find your way, and you will find it works a lot better for you than any other person's method they said is "right."

Mystic Zyl

Ivanna, you have to start somewhere when you are learning. I think 3 card spreads are great. Don't let reading intimidate you, but don't take it too lightly either...moderation! Your approach to past, present, future is great, just make sure your questions are detailed. I find the more though the question, the better the answer. I feel you need to relax...one thing a wise tarot teacher taught me was to meditate, which was hard for me to do. You need to try to balance your energy before reading. Burn mugwart incense or an incense you love, listen to music that is calming and try to think of pleasant things before you read. Make sure you read in a comfortable environment. Keep a journal of your readings to go back over at a later date to see how you interpreted it. Remember we all start out crawling before we run with the big dogs. Be guided by your intuition.

ivanna

thank you all for your answers. I have a long way to walk...

ivanna

great! thank you!

nisaba

How you can determine the meaning of the card positions and be sure that's is in this way?

You simply decide on the meaning of each position, then pull your cards. They will conform.