I Ching - Lama Anagarika Govinda

darwinia

I was trying to find his book "The Inner Structure of the I Ching" but it is OOP and fetching very high prices. There were two editions, one in 1981, and one in 1996.

ISBN 0935706003
ISBN 0834801655

I wondered if anyone here has this book and could comment on its usefullness as an I Ching commentary?

I was fascinated to find this fellow's brief biography on the web. His book "The Way of the White Clouds" is still in print, probably because he was such an interesting person. Has anyone read that book as well?

Thanks

"ABOUT LAMA ANAGARIKA GOVINDA
He was born as Ernst Lothar Hoffman in Waldheim, Germany in 1898, son
of a German father and a Bolivian mother. He was invalided out of
German army during the First World War because of tuberculosis. He was
the founder of the Buddhist Order Arya Maitreya Mandala. He came to
India in his early years. His interest in Buddhism and monastic life
led him to Sri Lanka and Burma.

He had been to Tibet many times lived for two years in Central and
Western Tibet with his wife Li Gotami, a British Educated Parsee from
Bombay. In 1931 he attended a Buddhist Conference in Darjeeling
intending to affirm the purity of the Theravadin tradition against the
Mahayana, which in his view, had degenerated into "a system of demon
worship and weird beliefs."

This trip to Darjeeling was to alter his life. Here he met his Tibetan
Guru, Tomo Geshe Rinpoche, under whose influence he converted into
Gelugpa sect. He finally settled in Almora, India. He held posts in
various Indian universities and held exhibitions of his paintings,
several of which he made together with his wife still in Tibet. In
1971 he made a journey to America and Canada. In 1972 he was on tour
in Europe. He became a mediator and peacemaker between Wests.

Govinda's Tibetan experiences are recounted in his book The Way of the
White Clouds, which includes elements from several genre-spiritual
journals, adventure narratives, anthropological field reports and
philosophical commentaries. It is one of the century's classic
spiritual autobiographies. Lama Govinda's final years were spent in
California living in the San Francisco Bay area on Alan Watts'
houseboat, then in Mill Valley.

In San Francisco he established an American branch of the Arya
Maitreya Mandala, called "Home of Dhyan". He is considered to be
perhaps the most influential in introducing Tibetan Buddhism to the
West. He died in 1986. His ashes are contained in the Nirvana-Stupa,
which was erected in 1997 on the premises of Samten Choeling Monastery
(a Tibetan Monastery), in the district of Darjeeling, West Bengal,
India."

Alta

Hi,

I have this book, and have read it several times and drawn out all of his figures. It was a tremendous help and with it I got a much deeper understanding of the flow of the trigrams and hexagrams as thet transform into each other. It also explores deeply the 'seasonal' or cyclic nature of time events and how they are reflected in the 64 hexagrams.

I didn't know it was OOP or expensive as I bought it at the time.

hope this is of some help.

Marion

Edited to add: I have the 1981 edition, because that is the period when I discovered I Ching. Very likely they are the same though.

darwinia

Thanks Marion, it sounds like something I would enjoy and use. One of these days while scrambling through a dusty used bookshop, I might be lucky to find it.

I was checking several sites including ABE, and the price ranged from $25 US for a beaten up copy, to $165 US. It never came out in paperback apparently, so both are hardcover editions. I can't understand why the prices would be this high. Maybe just capitalizing on a trend like greedy people who ask $200 for a tarot deck that's worth $20?

That's good that you got it years ago at a reasonable price. I love it when people buy things and use and reread them. That's a terrific recommendation.

Huck

I've read other books from Lama Anagarika Govinda and found them good.

This not. His mathematical considerations, which fill a greater part of the book, go in the wrong direction - my opinion. The other parts might be well, I don't remember. The outer form of the book has quality, no question, but finally the content counts. I've read a lot of I-Ching books and was disappointed.

Netzach

A bookshop in Pittsburgh has a copy for $25 + p&p which isn't too terribly expensive. I'm sending you the link by PM.

Just editing this to add:
You don't seem to have a PM link. So I'm posting the book link here. Hope that's OK with the moderators.

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/abe/BookDetails?bi=639314732

darwinia

Netzach said:
A bookshop in Pittsburgh has a copy for $25 + p&p which isn't too terribly expensive.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness! $25 is what the original retail price was, so in comparison to others that's not bad, but even $25 is too much right now. With shipping to Canada it's $31 US, so about $35 CDN.

I had a smidge of money but I bought the Fortune Teller's Mah Jongg which I've wanted for a couple of years. Actually I overextended on that one, so this book will have to wait for a bit.

darwinia

Huck said:
His mathematical considerations, which fill a greater part of the book, go in the wrong direction - my opinion.

Funny how everyone has their own little math theory going on. And math is supposed to be so logical and universal. I don't see that in practical observation. <g>

darwinia

The expense was prohibitive because it's OOP, but after thinking about it I decided not to bother.

What put me off was Huck's observation here, and another book I came across by Derek Walters (the fellow who created the Fortune Teller's Mah Jongg) which dealt with a comparison of the Tao te Ching and the I Ching. It seemed a bit dubious to me, and I got to thinking about trends and systems and how people latch things together to build their own system.

Interesting to read but maybe you can eat too much junk food too? Or maybe that's too harsh, maybe it's more like diluting the solution and losing the flavour?

Hard to explain, I simply like the standard books on I Ching that I have. Or maybe I like exploration with my own mind, perhaps I like to find my own answers?

Anyway, thanks to everyone for replying.