I was a Viking...or not

violetdaisy

I've always been under the strong impression that my soul hasn't chosen to reincarnate as often as others for whatever the reason, or it's just younger. When I was a teen I fantasized about being this or that during this or that part of history. But I've never dreamt about living in the past, not really. Not without it being more a sci-fi fantasy type. My daughter, however, she *is* an old soul. She just is, you get that as soon as you see her. Even when she was very young it was just apparent.

Anyway, I digress. Apologies. Last night I really *was* a Viking (dreaming). I've begun a long study of runes (before I trust myself to use them) and during this process SO much has happened with my perception of things, it's a bit astonishing. I don't watch any historical shows with Vikings, I don't read Viking fiction. However, my dream was spectacularly realistic and vivid, up until my conscious decided to take control and warp things toward the end. So my question. Do I trust what I saw up until my "today" mind took over?

Really I'm much more into Scottish/Irish historical fiction and myths so it's taken me a bit by surprise. I just don't know because as I've mentioned, I have a relatively strong *knowing* of having few past lives.

Mr. Woolery

I may take a bit of flak for this, but here's my view.

When we are made aware of past lives or what might be past lives (sometimes there's no way to verify, sometimes we can verify and find that it couldn't have happened, rarely are we able to verify and confirm anything historical), there's a reason for it. Our inner self has a message for the conscious mind. Sometimes that has nothing to do with an actual life that was lived. Sometimes the best way to communicate a truth is through a fiction.

So, what was the truth that you needed when you had this dream? If I dreamed of being a Viking, the truth I would find in it is that I have in me the strength and the ruthlessness to achieve mighty and memorable things. But I really don't know what you need to know about yourself through this glimpse.

Additionally, if this was a legit view of a past life that really happened, that doesn't mean you should suddenly change your interests. If you have an interest in the Celtic, that's fine. That's part of your current process and should not be ignored just because you found a link to a culture that has not interested you in the past.

-Patrick

violetdaisy

No flack - I respect all perspectives I can get when it comes to the rare dream that I can't figure out. Since that dream I've done some reading. I had been beginning to study runes anyway - still am - so now I am learning about Norse peoples - though historical shows/books etc still have no interest for me - their lore does. I know I'm Dutch & Scottish (Mom is "just" Dutch - dad is Scottish and a few other things I can't remember.) I've decided that due to my heritage, my response to the runes I have been studying, my dream - that it's a likely possibility I was a Viking.

Eventually I'm going to do a DNA swab test from a reputable company - but that's expensive - spouse did that and I have, I think, somewhere, a family tree of last names on my dad's side. I randomly found it hastily written on a piece of paper as I was sifting through a box of stuff my mom gave me.

The theme of the dream has a common thread with many of my other dreams - Just a completely different "feel" to it if that makes sense. And I still really like historical fiction and lore of Celtic culture and beliefs - Not abandoning my interests there for sure - chose to study runes first (have Ogham too) because I did know so little about Vikings/Norse and wouldn't have any preconceptions.

Village Witch

I may take a bit of flak for this, but here's my view.

When we are made aware of past lives or what might be past lives (sometimes there's no way to verify, sometimes we can verify and find that it couldn't have happened, rarely are we able to verify and confirm anything historical), there's a reason for it. Our inner self has a message for the conscious mind. Sometimes that has nothing to do with an actual life that was lived. Sometimes the best way to communicate a truth is through a fiction.

Make no apologies for your opinion, Patrick. I absolutely agree with your assessment of past lives. I also think at times that our hopes, dreams, and even fantasies manifest themselves in so-called past lives.

I have had people say that past lives follow bloodlines. I have never found that to be true.