I wonder about these things (part 1)

Grizabella

When people first started using cards as a means of divination, did they do it with the idea they were able to predict the future?

Or did they share the current opinion that tarot doesn't predict the future?

I realise these questions might just have to be answered speculatively because nobody may know for sure, but I've always thought that the original intent with divining was to see the future.

Imagemaker

Here's a really long thread (51 posts) where we discussed fortunetelling, pros and cons. It is a start to this topic you raise.

fortunes

Fulgour

Stop - Look - Listen

Whilst it is beyond the ability of words to express,
I think that when people discover they have a gift
and seek to give it expression there are going to be
challenges, and finding a vehicle to give it a shape
and form that will enable a clear expression brings
in the use of 'tools' to enable lucid communication.

Much like Show & Tell creates a physical dimension.

autumn star

Lyric said:
When people first started using cards as a means of divination, did they do it with the idea they were able to predict the future?

I realise these questions might just have to be answered speculatively because nobody may know for sure, but I've always thought that the original intent with divining was to see the future.

Hi Lyric,

When I first started reading, I definately did not use tarot for prediction ... because I didn't agree with the idea of trying to predict the future anyway ... there is a danger that you can believe whatever the prediction is and then it happens, just because you believe it will.

However, since being here at the forum I have seen people who do use it as a predictive means ... but more like trying to find the right path for your future ... and what your path in life is .... so in more of a spiritual way, if that makes sense ... and I have seen it work quite well in those instances.

But, I am on the fence about it... I really try to avoid when reading for myself ... but sometimes it comes up.

thanks for the link ImageMaker ... I will go and check it out now :)

Psychebleu

When I've heard of 'drawing lots' (from the bible) it seems to have been used as a means for advice, and help making wise decisions. That is also 'divination' - gaining insight into more obscure matters, not necessarily pertaining to the future.

Flavio

Lyric said:

Is believed the origin divination through sorceries lies on the fact that people wanted to discover relationships between events non evidently related, it was previous to discovery of scientific method.

One example of ancient divination is checking a fish guts to see if the water of a river is good then use it to grow vegetables as time passed the fish-guts-checking divination ritual remained and was assumed fish guts OK = good harvest forgetting the original purpose to open the fish. So I think the people who started using the cards didn't mean to predict the future just understand what was going on but as happened with the fish the cards original intention was lost in the time and "future predicting" using Tarot was born.