It's Beltaine, the end of Spring!

nisaba

That being said, a local venue had to have a Halloween Night last night, didn't they, a festival marking the end of Autumn.

I'd been booked before by them to do a Mothers Day Luncheon, where mothers got a special menu and a free Tarot reading supplied by moi and paid for by the club so free to the mothers, and that went well. I'd been recommended by a friend of mine, who does all their accountancy.

Well, they got in touch a few weeks ago, asking me if I wanted to do Halloween. In Summer? For money? Of course I did!

So we agreed to the same period of time and rate of pay.

I brought in my Travelling Tarotista Bag, crammed with decks, candlesticks and candles, and skulls (my three sheep, Hughie, Dewey and Louis, my brush-tailed possum, Alphonse and a carved tiger-iron "human" skull called Daniel Quixote). I wore my winterweight cloak, for no better reason than it was black (although lined with brilliant azure satin, which I made sure flashed around). The cloak is made of heavy felted wool, so I sweated as though I was sitting in a sauna, even though they had the air conditioning cranked up. My midweight velvet cloak would have been better, but it's not black.

So there I was, sitting surrounded by skulls, lit candles and not an OH&S officer in sight to tell me to put them out, and suffering heat stroke <grin>.

The decks I was using were the Necromicon, the Gothic, the Streghe, the Tarot of the Dead and the Halloween. All of them attracted attention and were admired. I was doing quick three-card pulls for people.

I was busy from the moment I sat down to the moment I started packing, nearly an hour after I was contracted to finish up, and even as I packed, I had people try to bully me into sitting down and reading for them.

I handed out heaps of business cards.

We've had bushfires lately, and I had a plastic cauldron on the floor, for people to drop any change in that they wanted to donate to the firefighting effort. I'll be taking that along next Wednesday and give it to the people it's meant for :).

Most of the faces and most of the readings are a blur, but I know I had a great time, got a lot of feedback, and turned around a handful of sceptics. And the kitchenstaff all want readings from me, now! <laughter>

I think I might approach every local venue, and explain how I can be a drawcard to attract bigger crowds in. The place I was working in has a good reputation, so I can use that as a jumping-off point. I really don't mind doing three-card pulls for peanuts, if I have a guaranteed sum coming in for the hours I work. :)

nisaba

:)

Just had a phone call from the accountant who looks after the venue's financial affairs. Looks as if they approve of me as much as I approve of them. This could become an ongoing relationship!

Padma

Congrats! Many happy readings! :)

Mellaenn

Cool beans, Nisaba, I love your style. Sometimes our role is a little more of a subdued advisor and other times, ya gotta put on the old razzle-dazzle. :)

Grizabella

Chiming in late.....with a suggestion. Maybe enlarge your cloak closet to include season-appropriate cloaks? I have a black crushed velvet cloak lined in heavy burgundy satin...it's my one and only. Maybe I should take my own advice. :rolleyes:

nisaba

<cackle> I have rainbow tie-dyed tee-shirts, too, to make me look all innocent ...