Jung and Tarot

Fonda

I was wondering if anyone has a copy of Sallie Nichols' Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey and if so, what you think about it. I found a copy at a local bookstore and I'm on the fence about plunking down the money for it.

I'm interested in delving into Jungian symbolism in the cards and am not a beginner looking for a quick reference book but the reviews on Amazon seem pretty mixed.

Thanks everyone. :)

Richard

I was wondering if anyone has a copy of Sallie Nichols' Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey and if so, what you think about it. I found a copy at a local bookstore and I'm on the fence about plunking down the money for it.

I'm interested in delving into Jungian symbolism in the cards and am not a beginner looking for a quick reference book but the reviews on Amazon seem pretty mixed.

Thanks everyone. :)
I don't know if I have that book (however, I think I do), but a lot of material by (self-proclaimed) Jungian psychologists are neither in accord with the usual esoteric interpretations, nor with what would be compatible with Jungian psychology. My gut suggestion would be to save your money.

1Eleven

I don't have that book but Robert Place gets into Jung's work quite a bit in his books.

RexMalaki

Sallie Nichols' Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey is on my want-list...

tarotbear

Jung or Old?

Sallie Nichols is a disciple of Jung.

I have read this book. Flipping through it in a bookstore I though some of the captions under the pictures were very interesting - so I bought it. Short Form: Don't Bother.

Long Form: Everyone goes on and on about Jung - especially a disciple - but in reality Jung wrote maybe all of 12 pages about Tarot - not volumes the way it is made to sound. You can probably find those twelve pages on line. Yes, archetypes is the basis for Jungian analysis, but if you are expecting reams of info about every Tarot image - you are going to be disappointed. Jung did not discuss Tarot the way we discuss Tarot. He 'mentions' it. Jung did not 'read' Tarot cards, nor use them in his analysis. I read this book a long time ago, and if I remember correctly (I'm old - don't forget!) the 'journey' is Sallie Nichols' journey, not Jung's journey.

Your milage may vary.

Attachments

• the_wanderer.jpg
    the_wanderer.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 140

Fonda

Thank you all

Thank you all for your honest insight, especially you, tarotbear. I think that since I was on the fence about it I'll just let it pass by and try to find other resources instead.

1Eleven - I've heard really good things about Place and I just bought The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination so I think I'll content myself with that for the time being. :)

fyreflye

As a recovering Jungian and a skeptical tarotist this http://tinyurl.com/77vlt67 is the only Jung and Tarot book I'd ever recommend to anyone. Nichols is a deadly bore, Rosengarten's book is useful only for Jungian analysts, Hamaker-Zondag's book is all over the place; but Irene Gad skillfully integrates the esoteric with the psychological. It's not an easy book to read, but it's fascinating.

Fonda

Thanks FyreFlye, I'll have to check that one out. Appreciate the recomendation.