Just An Idea (For Now)

Kay Valentine

So I got this idea for a tarot deck the other day...

Last Tuesday I started my second semester of college. I'm running a full load this semester, six classes, three of which are Honors level courses. Now imagine me on campus, standing outside in the freezing cold with two of my friends, the sun slipping below the horizon behind me, and you may can understand why I felt the need to yell at them: "Why the HELL did I let you talk me into taking a three-hour long night class!?"

But I digress. It was from that class that I got this idea. The professor; - from the moment he started talking, we could tell how passionate he is about his craft. "Every one in this room has something they want to tell the world. It can be vague or specific but to you it is something personal that you want to share. You are here to explore a medium by which you can do just that. I want you," he told us, "each one of you, to learn the skills it takes to turn an ordinary photograph into a work of art."

When he asked us to think of something personal that we found beautiful, I thought of tarot. When he asked us to think of a way photography could aid us in expressing our enjoyment on the subject, I thought of an idea for a deck - a photo-art deck!

Since I'm still new to tarot, I don't know if anyone has successfully done this yet. It seems difficult to build a good deck with this medium, but it does not seem impossible. I am still dedicating as much time and energy as I can to tarot, but the aforementioned semester schedule is rather time and energy consuming (so much so that I am even having to quit my job just so I can have time to study! - once I have completed this post, I imagine I won't spend another moment of the day today doing anything other than homework). Therefore, I have no intention of pursuing this creative endeavor...or at least not yet.

Not to mention, I'm brand new to the art of photography; if I set out with the intent of creating a deck, I am certainly not going to half-ass my way through it. So, at the end of this semester, I will determine whether or not I feel I have obtained the camera skill necessary to build a successful tarot deck in this manner, and if I have then I will start work on said project. Hopefully by then I will feel like I have learned a great deal about the art of the tarot as well.

So this is what (at great length) has lead me into my desire for feedback. While I would never push for publishing, I still want to know what other people would like to see, what exactly others would look for in a deck like this. If I were to pursue this idea, these are the questions I would need to consider:

*- Black-and-white vs. color (the photography class I am currently in is B&W, but I intend to take color next semester)
*- Urban vs. rural
*- Nature vs. people
*- Posed vs. unposed
*- Traditional artwork/concepts vs. abstract ones

My question to y'all is would you be interested at all in a photo-art deck, and if so, what style of photography would you most appreciate/consider most appropriate for such a purpose? Any sort of comment would be fantastic. Thanks in advance for any responses =)

~Kay V,
the Long-Winded

Sidhe-Ra

there are quite a few photo and photo collage decks, i think, but don't let that stop you!

I'd quite like to see a good, unposed, black and white photo deck. Snapshots from life. And I think a mixture of urban and natural, people and landscapes, would be fine!

Blessings,

Em x

yaraluna

quick post from work...
have you checked the work of sarah fuller (canadian artist) who did a photographic tarot project in color. very nice and the photos are about 20x26 at least when in exhibition.
sarahfuller.banff.org.
or google her blog

yara

Imagemaker

Here at AT there's a list, with images, of different categories of decks. Click deck characteristics and scroll down to "photographic".

Kay Valentine

Thanks for the responses, y'all. I really appreciate them.

I checked out those photography decks (thanks for pointing that category out, by the way - I completely missed it!) and some of them are spectacular. I noticed, though, that most of them were digitally altered. Don't get me wrong, I think they look fantastic, but I am more interested in doing a straight photography deck, with the extent of my editting being cropping and maybe some color effects (greyscale, for example, if I decide on black and white).

It is great looking at these! I'm glad I have maybe a jumping off point if I start to feel stuck =)

Imagemaker

Go for it! Your deck will be unique to your vision and technique, no matter what it is.