Learning a New Deck

FutureMoth

Hi everyone,

It's been a pretty long time since I've been at this forum, but I have always trusted all of you to give great advice when it comes to reading tarot. I am quite fluent in reading my Rider-Waite (the first deck I owned) and have collected a few more decks in the last year or two. A year or so ago I bought the Paulina Tarot (created by Paulina Cassidy) and Osho's Zen Tarot deck. These two are different in the sense that one follows the same basic conventions of the RW (at least in terms of the names and suites of the cards) and one does not. I had been on and off just trying to sit and look at the cards and derive meaning from them. I have a book written by Osho that explains his thoughts on each of the cards in his deck. However, I have just recently gotten my hands on the Universal Dali Tarot! I am very excited about it--the cards are absolutely gorgeous and the exact level of similarity/difference from the deck that I know! However, I really do not have any idea how to begin learning to read it! There is so much in every card and it is all so subtle and farfetched at the same time that I really have no idea how to begin.

So my question is two-fold:
1. Any suggestions on getting to know a new deck in general?
2. Any suggestions on getting to know Dali's deck in specific?

Emily

I don't have the Dali so I can't be specific to the deck but I always go about learning the ins and outs of a new deck the same way.

I'm going through it at the moment with the Deva tarot. First I go through the whole deck looking at each card, I also check to make sure that Swords are air, Cups/water etc. I like to know from the start if the deck has any radical changes that are different, the Deva has an extra suit.

Then it's just a case of using the deck and making notes, I do dailies and write down the readings, I also just draw random cards and write down my thoughts and feelings. I'm not much for keeping journals but I have an online diary that I use each day for my readings and I also makes notes in it. I also read through the LWB's, especially if it's a none traditional deck. If there is symbolism on the cards that I don't recognise then I google it, I have symbology books but its easier to search out online. This is basically how I get to know a new deck. :)

FutureMoth

So you'd suggest shuffling the deck and doing a bunch of readings using just my intuition, taking notes of what I feel with each card?

Would it be wise to separate out the majors from the minors, then? When I first learned the R-W, I learned the minors first because I was so intimidated by the majors and I didn't learn them until years later.

nisaba

Spend time with it, looking at the images without even thinking about them at least as much as "working with it". I recommend Tarot Solitaire, my version of course.

2. Any suggestions on getting to know Dali's deck in specific?
Ignore the blood in the Emperor's beard. Ignore the blood in the Emperor's beard. Ignore the -

I like to think of it as my blood-and-butterflies deck. Butterflies are about so-called positive transformation, blood is about so-called negative transformation. I don't think it's that simple, myself.

littleiris

when i get a new deck i like to read the majors like a "book" and try to understand the nuance of that decks story of the journey of the fool. then i read each minor suit as well. then i use it to do daily draws. journalling can help but i confess, i don't do it very often anymore.

divinegoddess

I'm not very advanced and I only own two decks of tarot, I got my Shadowscapes deck late-June of this year. What the writer of the book adviced, is to separate the major arcana from the rest of the deck (or if you want the whole deck, that's fine too), shuffle them and pick a card. Examine this card until you can remember it. Close your eyes and go in to the image, get a sense of what it smells, feels, etc and perhaps have a 'conversation' with the character.

When I did this, I got the Hermit and he was very, very hesitant to let me in. He kept saying 'go away, leave'. Later, I found a spread for interviewing your deck, so I did that, and found out that I need to earn the trust of this deck.

Also by shuffling a lot, even if you're watching tv or something helps the deck to get to know your energy. If a card pops up, it has something to tell you, which is great!

D.

FutureMoth

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'm going to just jump in and try doing some simple readings, maybe some with more predictable outcomes, to see how the cards represent the situations. I think this might help me get a good sense for them. I'll let you guys know how it goes and if I have more questions!

Emily

Would it be wise to separate out the majors from the minors, then? When I first learned the R-W, I learned the minors first because I was so intimidated by the majors and I didn't learn them until years later.

I don't usually separate the deck because I get too impatient and like to work with random cards - but if it's a way that has worked for you before, then go for it again. I would say though, that it might be better to learn the Majors first because then you'll be able to do readings from just the 22 Majors. Also read through the LWB, some are useful especially if the deck is a bit non-traditional. :)

vonniedeak

I don't know if you know about it or not but there is a Reading Exchange forum on here that you could be upfront about and tell them that you are introducing a deck and want to read for feedback or exchange. I have read there...it is alot of fun to see what people say about your reading technique and what you see in the cards. When I get a new deck, I jump right in and start reading from it (of course comparing what the deck's book says the meaning of that card means to my own intuition). The more readings you do, the more familiar you will become to the cards.

Blessed be,

Von