Learning Lenormand

calligirl

I was recently introduced to Lenormand by accident. DH was with me and saw a beautiful (what we first thought was Tarot) deck and I quickly bought it. It was the Gilded Lenormand and I just can't put it down. I've been reading Tarot for awhile now and love working with Runes so I arrogantly figured this system wouldn't be a problem to learn. Wrong!

I have Rana George's book and I've read it cover to cover. It makes complete sense to me....except when it's my turn. The cards didn't seem to make sense for my questions like it did when others explained it.

I think I just found an answer why.

For two days now, I have been asking about a car we recently purchased. Found out it needs some repair work and I've been asking the cards should we sell or repair. I couldn't understand the answer because I never got the ship card which I thought meant car. I just read a post on this forum about the different meanings of the ship card versus the rider card. All this time I have been getting the rider card in my spreads..duh! The cards were giving me messages but I didn't recognize it. How embarrassing! Here I've been trying to figure out if we were supposed to hear a message (car recall) or something like that.

I kept getting ring path rider scythe along with different cards each time. Just that one meaning changed all of that!

On the other hand, now that I realize this, I'm not very sure how to proceed. I guess I need to continue to keep a journal and just practice more? How else will I know what the cards mean to me personally? Any suggestions or ideas?

Amanaki

Hi Carligirl

Welcome to the world of Lenormand :)
I would say that with the Rana George book you can come a long way in understanding the Lenormand cards :) I my self read her book every day, and i learn something new every day.

In my opinion to learn some basic meanings of each card is important, but it is the card combinations that will give you the first real deep understanding of Lenormand, and how you can use it :)
In the beginning i would say to you that to lay 3 card spreads are the first step to gain deeper understanding of the cards. Rana have a good way of explaning this in her book :)
The rider can often mean News of some sort but if its a object i would say it is more like a motorcycle or a bicycle then a car. Its always a discussion on this. But in my opinion i would stick to what you feel is correct for you, and the cards will «know» your meaning when you see this card.

I would also say that it take time to really get the deeper understanding of the cards you reading. Take the time and dont stress it, it will come natural after some time when your mind get used to using the Lenormand.
A journal is a good way to see your own progress :)

Hope this can help you a little, and i hope if i wrote something wrong. Then other on the forum will correct me and give you a deeper understanding :)

Amanaki

calligirl

I have the traditional meanings down so far, at least I think I do. It's the more individualized ones that I have to work on I guess. Thanks for the encouragement! Yor're right, it will take time and patience, which I lack both these days!

calligirl

I have the traditional meanings down so far, at least I think I do. It's the more individualized ones that I have to work on I guess. Thanks for the encouragement! Yo're right, it will take time and patience, which I lack both these days!