Lenormand Plus

Barleywine

Although I see it as by no means essential and maybe bordering on heresy, I'm kind of intrigued by Rana George's approach to adding a few tarot or oracle cards to a Lenormand spread to show "psychological undercurrents" (or "advice, reasons or moods"), or adding Lenormand cards to a Celtic Cross tarot spread to "ground" some of the more esoteric, less overtly practical tarot meanings.

My problem is that, in the early going, I can't find a tarot deck that blends seamlessly with my Gilded Reverie and that doesn't seem "jarring" in combination, and I don't presently own any oracle decks. On the face of it, I hoped that one of Ciro's other decks would serve, but the Legacy of the Divine has never moved me in the same way the Gilded Reverie does, and I don't own the Gilded Tarot, the Tarot of Dreams or the Oracle of Visions. The last one seems to show promise, though, and I may just buy it for this purpose.

Does anyone who's tried using tarot or oracle cards with the Gilded Reverie (or with one of the more traditional Lenormand decks) have any suggestions or recommendations? I'm not interested in hearing why it's not a good idea or why it won't work (I already have my own traditionalist reservations to overcome :)), just what insights you can offer.

andybc

I tend to do a horary reading and then a line of nine if I’m mixing disciplines. But I must admit I have done a tarot reading in conjunction with a PL one. I’ve found it’s best to do just use the tarot’s trumps (after all, the PL are ‘pip’ cards).

The tarot I use is the Jean-Noblet or Visconti-Sforza. With Ciro's I would have thought the Gilded Tarot would go well - it has the same sort of colour scheme doesn't it? I'm not sure what else I could suggest, as I use historical tarots.

Barleywine

I tend to do a horary reading and then a line of nine if I’m mixing disciplines. But I must admit I have done a tarot reading in conjunction with a PL one. I’ve found it’s best to do just use the tarot’s trumps (after all, the PL are ‘pip’ cards).

The tarot I use is the Jean-Noblet or Visconti-Sforza. With Ciro's I would have thought the Gilded Tarot would go well - it has the same sort of colour scheme doesn't it? I'm not sure what else I could suggest, as I use historical tarots.

Interesting! I hadn't thought of horary as a good adjunct technique. but on further consideration, geomancy might be even better because it gives practical insights very similar to Lenormand. The Gilded Reverie seems more "painterly" than Ciro's other decks, which I've alway found to be a bit starkly digital for my taste. The Oracle of Visions is also looser in this regard, which is why I think I favor it, along with (as you mentioned) the fact that the color scheme is similar. Plus, I've found the idea of oracle decks to be uninspiring in the past because they can mean "all things to all people," and this might be a way to edge my way into them.

Regarding the historical Lenormand decks, I may try the Old English tarot as a partner since it has suitably simple imagery.

danieljuk

some people use it with the Mystic Kipper cards. There was a recent thread about that here and Glass Owl wrote about her experiences of using it with the Gilded Reverie!

I just bought the English version of the Mystic Kipper but not actually opened the deck yet. But this is something I want to try with :)

I have done readings with tarot (any deck) with Lenormand (any deck), it all seemed to fit together really well! I normally do one tarot card and 3 Lenormand cards for each spread position.

Barleywine

some people use it with the Mystic Kipper cards. There was a recent thread about that here and Glass Owl wrote about her experiences of using it with the Gilded Reverie!

I just bought the English version of the Mystic Kipper but not actually opened the deck yet. But this is something I want to try with :)

I have done readings with tarot (any deck) with Lenormand (any deck), it all seemed to fit together really well! I normally do one tarot card and 3 Lenormand cards for each spread position.

Thanks for this! Very useful information, especially the example in the blog. I can see how the Kipper cards could shade the Lenormand meanings, and the fact that there are 36 of them appeals to my sense of symmetry. Three Lenormand cards to one tarot card is how Rana George suggests doing a Celtic Cross, which I also intend to try as the CC has always been my most effective tarot spread.

Barleywine

But I must admit I have done a tarot reading in conjunction with a PL one. I’ve found it’s best to do just use the tarot’s trumps (after all, the PL are ‘pip’ cards).

Have you given any consideration to including the court cards as well? Those might correspond well with and reinforce the playing-card-insert royals, and it would bring the tarot sub-deck to 38 cards, maybe creating some synergies with the 36-card Lenormand. (This is the same logic I can see for using a Kipper deck for this purpose.)

Barleywine

I'm wondering whether either of these oracle decks might be worthwhile for this purpose. They are reasonably priced (well, cheap . . .) and seem to have images from the same era as the petit Lenormand.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sibilla-Oracle-Cards-Oracula-Adivino/5967569
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gypsy-Oracle-Cards-Oraculo-de-La-Gitana/5960369