LS Secret Tarot - 6 of Chalices

Centaur

In this card, a girl appears to be enjoying a summer's afternoon on a garden swing. The environment is lush, and deep. I am thinking that this garden is the garden of a house which is rather exquisite. In the background, we catch a glimpse of this home. It is etched there as a reminder of the lives which have gone before within its four walls... of the memories attached to the brick and mortar.

What is the young girl thinking? She appears to be smiling. Is she perhaps remembering another time? I sometimes like to think that she is actually being pushed on the swing... pushed by a spirit... a spirit attached to the home, and thus again associated with memories and what has gone before.

Anyone else care to share some thoughts on this card?

mj07

I think you pretty much hit on all the points! This card is so clearly a representation of happy childhood memories, nostalgia. In fact, it's so clear, I really can't get any other ideas from it. I recently got Riley's "Tarot Dictionary and Compendium" (thanks, Dan, for the recommendation!) RWS usually includes a heavy message about giving and receiving, but it's interesting to me to see that Crowley and many others call it a card of pleasure in the highest sense, joy, pleasant memories, peace. Could this card demonstrate those ideas any better?

Wow, the more I think of it the more I love this deck!

Centaur

mj07 said:
I recently got Riley's "Tarot Dictionary and Compendium" (thanks, Dan, for the recommendation!) RWS usually includes a heavy message about giving and receiving, but it's interesting to me to see that Crowley and many others call it a card of pleasure in the highest sense, joy, pleasant memories, peace. Could this card demonstrate those ideas any better?

I think that Crowley tries to emphasise the link with the sixth sephiroth of the Tree of Life... which I think is called Tipereth. Tipereth is linked to the sun, harmony, perfection, and beauty. I guess that these could all be linked very well with the idea of 'pleasure', and I think that the Secret depiction of this card also does much justice to this association.

Interestingly, Tipereth is a direct reflection of the first sephiroth, which is that of Kether... this is the ultimate, and pure. The first sephiroth, is, if I remember correctly, linked to the Aces. Therefore, the Six of Cups is a direct reflection of the Ace of Cups. Again, this would lead to pleasurable associations.

hyatt

The first thing I notice in this card is the sun spots that are shinning through the leaves. I see this card as a memory - I guess because she is closing her eyes. In many random memories I have I remember just how the light was and what smells were present. Sometimes you just remember a glance of a day even though nothing important happened. That is how I see this - just remembering happy days when you didn't know bills existed and how complicated adult life was.