Madame Endora's (Secret Circle) Study Group: SERENDIPITY

Alissa

SERENDIPITY : Bright New Prospects Are on the Horizon

From The Book:This night faerie represents an unexpected yet favorable turn of events. A chance meting or discovery. As one door closes another opens. Bright new prospects are on the horizon.

A faerie is shown in a flowing turquoise gown, in profile as she holds a butterfly on the tip of her right index finger. Her wings are translucent, as are the butterflies who congregate with the fairy lights that surround her. A moon dominates the background.

This faerie wears a crown of lights on her forehead. Often this symbolizes, for me, an awakening of the 6th and/or 7th chakras (the middle eye, and the crown chakra, respectively). The querent may be feeling these influences in their life, and the gifts that these awakenings can bring.

Curious that she holds a butterfly at night. Butterflies are not active at night, so here we see a winged creature that is not conforming to our expectations in how it comes to us.

Her translucent wings keep drawing my eye. They look like gold-flaked wings, gilded. Her swirling hair is reminiscent of the Art Nouveau/Mucha influence in Filipak's body of work. (The very famous Job poster comes to mind).

There is a dreamy quality to the card that is calming. When we experience those golden moments of Serendipity in our lives, they often feel effortlessly calm in their achievement. As if the butterfly was not chased, but came to us instead, a rare and magickal nocturnal sighting.

The Moon reminds me of Tarot's Moon card, except that I've always liked that card, and most folks think it's negative. It tells me your Guides are near, so near you can almost feel them as your life miraculously flowers beneath their mysterious, watchful eye. It is a symbol of the Higher Self intervening, which fits the idea of one shaping coincidences into a moment of Serendipty indeed.

Edited to add: Something else has just caught my eye for the first time. It seems that Seduction and Hindrance are not the only twin sisters in the deck after all, as was my previous assumption. The Spirit is Serendipity's twin. :)

Alissa

Welcome shadowlynx! I love the points you've raised here.

Butterflies are symbols of radical transformation indeed! And the transformation comes from within the animal, almost effortlessly once the moment is right. What makes one moment, one day the "right" day and time, and not the next, is mysterious.

Great point about the colorful insect being the one she touches.

Deidrui

Serendipity

A full moon - a new beginning. Butterflies also represent transformation but they also represent messages. As I see several of them it could also represent many different paths to chose from or opportunities.

Reversed:
The new moon is over and thus ends the new beginning. Messages have come and gone and you haven't chosen a one. Stagnite is the word I am after.

December Fairy

Finding something wonderful, unexpectedly. Lilke a butterfly at night.

squeakmo9

What I like about the butterfly on Serendipity's finger is that it is the same brilliant colors as Hindrance's wings. Seems like Hindrance is giving way to Serendipity, a turn of events, but in a rather strange manner.