Misogyny Readings

tarotbear

Not sure if this will float here in 'Talking Tarot' as opposed to 'Your Readings" since I am not conducting a reading - but with the other misogyny thread going in a circle, I decided to put this here.

Do what you always wanted to do - read for that misogynistic, male chauvanist pig, woman hating sleezeball you've always hated! I'm enabling you! Real or fictional MCPs! Short, simple readings will be best.

We need a list of MCP's though, other than Rush. How about Professor Henry Higgins?

vee

I think most sexism is a product of culture and environment, so I'm not sure what the goal here would be. This could either be really interesting or a horrible trainwreck. I'm all in. :laugh:

Let's see...how about the Dilbert creator, Scott Adams? I know, he seems innocent. Dilbert! But he has said stuff like this:

The reality is that women are treated differently by society for exactly the same reason that children and the mentally handicapped are treated differently. It's just easier this way for everyone. You don't argue with a four-year old about why he shouldn't eat candy for dinner. You don't punch a mentally handicapped guy even if he punches you first. And you don't argue when a women tells you she's only making 80 cents to your dollar. It's the path of least resistance. You save your energy for more important battles.

Did you have a spread in mind?

Edit: this is my 666 post, hahaha. Dilbert is the sign of the Beast.

Alta

Sorry, not trying to put a damper, but please post the actual readings in Your Readings. Feel free to link and discuss though.

Cat*

Let's see...how about the Dilbert creator, Scott Adams? I know, he seems innocent. Dilbert! But he has said stuff like this:
The reality is that women are treated differently by society for exactly the same reason that children and the mentally handicapped are treated differently. It's just easier this way for everyone. You don't argue with a four-year old about why he shouldn't eat candy for dinner. You don't punch a mentally handicapped guy even if he punches you first. And you don't argue when a women tells you she's only making 80 cents to your dollar. It's the path of least resistance. You save your energy for more important battles.
:bugeyed: Well, that explains a lot...

shadowdancer

if this is moved to the readings section, I am happy to take on Higgins.

I have done around 60 readings for fictional characters using the James Ricklef Tarot Tells the Tale style, and he would fit right in there. Also being a fictional character I would feel more comfortable, as opposed to doing a reading on someone who is actually alive and kicking

Davina

papercut

V.S Naipaul, the nobel prize winner.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jun/02/vs-naipaul-jane-austen-women-writers

... Naipaul ... was asked if he considered any woman writer his literary match. He replied: "I don't think so." Of Austen he said he "couldn't possibly share her sentimental ambitions, her sentimental sense of the world".

He felt that women writers were "quite different". He said: "I read a piece of writing and within a paragraph or two I know whether it is by a woman or not. I think [it is] unequal to me."

The author ... said this was because of women's "sentimentality, the narrow view of the world". "And inevitably for a woman, she is not a complete master of a house, so that comes over in her writing too," he said.

He added: "My publisher, who was so good as a taster and editor, when she became a writer, lo and behold, it was all this feminine tosh. I don't mean this in any unkind way."

After I read that, I decided I would never read anything he's written, no matter how many prizes he wins. If he doesn't take women seriously, then women have no reason to take him seriously.

Also, apparently he hasn't actually read any Jane Austen, or if he did, he didn't understand it. She isn't a sentimental writer at all. Her books are social satire and even quite cynical.

vee

Ugh, I remember that comment of his. Solidified my decision to never pick up one of his books.

bogiesan

Rush Limbaugh had some powerfully weird stuff to apologize for last week, that count? Read him.

Not sure he's misogynistic or racist as indiscriminately misanthropic.