My Own Spread, Any Good?

Restless Dragon

I've been searching all over the web for the most frequent questions asked for tarot readings. Needless to say I got no where. So I figure you could help me out. I'm basing mine off the Gypsy Spread.
J I H G F E D C B A
10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11
30 29 28 27 26 25 24 23 22 21

This is my setup, and to be read the same way as the Gypsy, right to left, and down by group.

A: Your unconscious state of mind. (feel its more important than your psychic state)
B: Present home life.
C: Family relationships. What is missing, what the environment is like.
D: Where your life is headed.
E: Your question or hopes.
F: Inner conflicts. Just conflicts with yourself.
G: Things outside your control.
H: What not to expect.
I: Your immediate future.
J: Long term results of the matter.

I've had a suggestion that the first row be past, the second be present, and the third be future. But as a novice I liked having the two extra cards to help clarify.
What do you guys think? Any alterations needed?

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic!

As I'm sure you've seen, Aeclectic strips out extra spaces, so to get the columns to line up properly, you'll have to use symbols instead of spaces - ., x, ~, #, etc.

J....I..H...G...F..E...D..C...B..A
20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11
30 29 28 27 26 25 24 23 22 21

There's no reason that you can't read the columns as your particular topics and the rows as timelines. And with the way you've laid out the cards, I'd actually read the bottom row (21-30) as past and the top row (1-10) as future.

Rodney

Restless Dragon

Thanks

I'll will keep the symbols in mind. I wasn't planning on making a past, present or future. Something bothers me, that I'm should exchange a column to mean something else. I'm decently pleased with it, I just need some opinions, or if several columns could be joined. that kind of thing.

rwcarter

I really think that type of spread can be fluid, having as many or as few columns as are needed at a particular time or for a particular situation.

Present home life and family relationships could be the same thing in some cases and could be different in others.

I'm assuming this is more of a general purpose spread, so as such, there probably isn't a question. So column E could have "question" removed and just be Your Hopes. If you really want to keep "question" in there, I would suggest breaking it off from "hopes" and also making it the first column.

Should column H be what not to expect or the unexpected? The latter would be "if you want a new car, you're not getting it" while the latter would be, "surprise, you're getting a new car!"

As for having three cards per column so that two of them are clarifiers, do you have in your mind which row contains the main card and which rows contain the clarifiers? You might also consider having all three cards relate on their own to the answer as opposed to having two of them play a lesser role as clarifiers. (You also have to be careful that the clarifiers don't actually confuse you more. That can happen all too easily.)

HTH,
Rodney

Restless Dragon

Clarify Clarifiers

getting rid of the question makes sense, i did have for this spread in mind to general. i never thought of a main card. when i did the gypsy spread for someone, i put the three together to form a story, when one card didnt seem to make sense in its category i just looked at the one below and then found the 3rd card to fit in nicely.