Navigators of the Mystic SEA: 4 of Swords

Little Baron

Was just flicking through my deck and got completely captivated by this card, on so many levels.

What a beautiful image. It really is a snap-shot within a story far bigger than one card can handle, don't you think? Like a single frame from a movie.

I think it was the tenderness that grabbed me to begin with. The two men could be friends, lovers or enermies on different sides of a war. Infact, from the brief bit of blurb I looked at in the book, the latter is how Turk tells it.

My fantasy moves in different directions. I am reminded of the Good Samaritan. I think of two men on different sides of a conflict, but united in either love or attraction. This snap-shot romantically finds the two away from the battlefield [the two swords outside] in almost a tender and loving embrace. Maybe one has been hurt and the other is comforting. They may simply be in love, but know that once the battle outside commences, there will be no room for love and only the best fighter will live.

Ok, ok .. I am getting slushy and my visions are running away with me in some kind of gay Mills and Boon novel [not that I have ever read one]. But seriously, in RWS terms, we always see this card as a time for rest. And here, it is entitled recuperation, which is not much different. I have seen physical rest in the Waite card, but here, as well as that, I see a relaxing taking place; a relaxing of differences, maybe. A time where you can rest and recuperate ill feeling to help another out. You can drop your sword, ill feeling or dislike for someone when they are in need. It may not be forever, but for that moment, it might be possible. And that moment may be a snap-shot like this. I have forgiven people in the past and it is a very powerful experience. I have let things go. I have helped people I had fallen out with when they have been in crisis. I feel there is a dose of this symbolised by these two in the card. And of course, a rest from battle or work [or whatever] could also be an interpretation here.

I am not always keen on the idea of a gay tarot deck, and I don't much like the ones on the market that I have seen. But there is something very homoerotic about this deck. In the most part, the people feel genderless, but in some cards, such as this, the couple have strong masculine features. But there is such a tenderness between them that feels more than just friendship, if you allow yourself to be taken that way with the image. For a gay man, I think I would recommend this deck far higher than the ones that specifically target people of gay and lesbian sexuality.

LB