New to Tarot- picking cards

lwinders

Hello. I am very new to Tarot and while it does have a certain excitement to it, it has also brought about some feelings of negativity. I think maybe this has been because with the RWS deck and just now learning the common interpretations some of the cards do come across as negative to me.

My purpose using the cards would be personal development. A couple of times now I feel very good about a certain situation, but after a tarot reading I feel this doubt or distraction from the good feelings I had before if a card or cards seemed not to support the way I actually feel.

I decided then to try my best to get certain feelings from the cards myself while pulling them when I feel certain way, I guess so I can get a feel about the cards and what they might really mean for me. As suggested for new people I considered pulling the one card per day. But what I did instead was sat with the cards and decided that whenever I had a certain strong feeling come up, I would pull a card and note what the feeling was. And then just note what I pull based on that feeling I had. I think that way I know how I am feeling when I pick certain cards and therefore I could develop my own feelings before looking at others interpretations.

I didn't pull from the cut deck but I shuffle until I feel done, and just wait for the time I felt strong about something then I fanned the cards in one hand and used the other to pick the card I felt like picking. Then I would pull another when I feel another strong feeling. I also might think on a certain person and then intuitively pick the card from the fanning method.

Anyway I thought that way felt good to me. Since I'm so new I just don't even know if anyone else does something like this, or am I totally just making up my own system and all the experienced folks are rolling their eyes, lol.

Grizabella

I find that, for me, being very relaxed and not trying to do things "right" is the way Tarot works best. Keeping it simple is the key for me. I just shuffle, draw cards off the top and then read what the cards say. Getting superstitious about it just made me anxious and made me second-guess myself.

gregory

I didn't pull from the cut deck but I shuffle until I feel done, and just wait for the time I felt strong about something then I fanned the cards in one hand and used the other to pick the card I felt like picking. Then I would pull another when I feel another strong feeling. I also might think on a certain person and then intuitively pick the card from the fanning method.
The bold bit tells me you are doing it right for you. FEEL is HUGE !

SuziDreams

That sounds like a good way to learn the cards. I just wanted to add that what you feel about a card in one day may have a different feel another day. You might focus on one part of the image which will bring up certain feelings or ideas, the next time you might focus on a different part, or even the same part might just have a different interpretation to you. What you need to remember is that what you feel is right for you at that time.

You say the actual card meanings can be negative for some cards but they can generally be turned around to show a positive, such as the Death card meaning the death or ending of something, but endings can bring about a fresh new beginning.

nisaba

Hello. I am very new to Tarot

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to Tarot! You have just started the longest and most exciting journey of your life ...

and while it does have a certain excitement to it, it has also brought about some feelings of negativity. I think maybe this has been because with the RWS deck and just now learning the common interpretations some of the cards do come across as negative to me.

Life is not always positive. The cards are designed to reflect the multiplicity of realities that people might find themselves in. Also, to reflect passing moods and circumstances. So-called "negative" cards have the seeds of their own healing within them, if you stop and think about them. :)

My purpose using the cards would be personal development. A couple of times now I feel very good about a certain situation, but after a tarot reading I feel this doubt or distraction from the good feelings I had before if a card or cards seemed not to support the way I actually feel.

Are you reading about how you feel, or about the situation itself? The cards might reflect the feelings of other people in those situations, or likely events and probabilities in the future, or shadows in the past. :)

I decided then to try my best to get certain feelings from the cards myself while pulling them when I feel certain way, I guess so I can get a feel about the cards and what they might really mean for me.

This helps. And look, really *look* at the images, the details, the backgrounds, the colours. And read everything you can. Even reading other people's questions on the forum and the variety of replies from different people with different styles will teach you a lot.

I would pull a card and note what the feeling was.

Most of us get strong feelings of one kind or another many times a day - this could get time-consuming and could interfere with your daily activities. So good luck if you manage to squeeze it in! But also, Tarot is not just about the emotions. Feelings is not all there is to it. I recommend thinking about your (or your friends') circumstances as well, and activities, and possessions, and everything. Feelings is a small part of what Tarot tries to express to us.

Anyway I thought that way felt good to me. Since I'm so new I just don't even know if anyone else does something like this, or am I totally just making up my own system and all the experienced folks are rolling their eyes, lol.

<smile> We all learn in our different ways. I'm not discouraging you from using this method, I just recommend broadening it, make it wider and less limited. :)

Enjoy the journey of learning - I know I still am!

pageoftemperance

First off congrats on starting your practice and welcome to the forum!

One thing that jumps out to me is that you're using the RWS deck. I know it's a staple and there are also a lot of people who use it or start off with it, but personally I can't vibe with the cards. The illustrations seem very cold and unfriendly to me. The descriptions and interpretations don't sit well either, they feel too traditional and inflexible. And I know that's not everyone's experience, but I've heard similar opinions out there too. If you're getting negative vibes from a deck, it may mean that the match just isn't too great =/ There are decks out there based upon the traditional RWS but lean more to personal development or insight that you might want to look into. I have the Dreaming Way deck and it's one of the most helpful tools for personal insight I have.

Also, sometimes when you're experiencing an emotion and pull a card without a question, the card matches the emotion you're feeling because that's the energy you're giving the deck. This is what's happened to me before and another reason why you should like the deck you use - if you go into a reading feeling negative about it, the interpretations that come up will often be negative.

euripides

I'm going to sound a bit of a different note here. I don't think you can imprint your current feeling on a random card. Cards don't work that way, in my view. Quite frankly, I think you've got it backwards.

Clearly others feel very differently, and you may totally disagree with me, but I'll offer my opinion in case it is useful in some way.

The RWS has a complex set of symbolism that is largely drawn on well-established tradition. To get the most out of them, you want to learn what that symbolism is, what it means. There is a very definite logic to it. Aces tend to mean beginning; two means duality, three, a trio, four - square, solidity. Five - unbalance/conflict. Swords can mean sharp thought; coins, practical things. And so on.

Many decks, including the Rider-Waite, include Biblical and religious symbolism that is very old, as well as imagery from wider earth-based and other faiths.

What I would advise you to do is to start learning the formal, established card meanings. Know what each one is meant to represent. (Just the standard card imagery - not reversals).

When you draw the card, listen to what it is telling you. The imagery that stands out to you, the story that the picture tells you, might highlight something that you've overlooked in your assessment of a problem, or might tell you of a hidden fear or worry, or an upside that you haven't considered.

Farzon

I'm going to sound a bit of a different note here. I don't think you can imprint your current feeling on a random card. Cards don't work that way, in my view. Quite frankly, I think you've got it backwards.

Clearly others feel very differently, and you may totally disagree with me, but I'll offer my opinion in case it is useful in some way.

The RWS has a complex set of symbolism that is largely drawn on well-established tradition. To get the most out of them, you want to learn what that symbolism is, what it means. There is a very definite logic to it. Aces tend to mean beginning; two means duality, three, a trio, four - square, solidity. Five - unbalance/conflict. Swords can mean sharp thought; coins, practical things. And so on.

Many decks, including the Rider-Waite, include Biblical and religious symbolism that is very old, as well as imagery from wider earth-based and other faiths.

What I would advise you to do is to start learning the formal, established card meanings. Know what each one is meant to represent. (Just the standard card imagery - not reversals).

When you draw the card, listen to what it is telling you. The imagery that stands out to you, the story that the picture tells you, might highlight something that you've overlooked in your assessment of a problem, or might tell you of a hidden fear or worry, or an upside that you haven't considered.
Completely this!

Look for books about the Tarot! I found especially the traditional books very helpful. Immerse yourself completely into one school of thinking and then move on. I found that's the best way to learn for me. If you like to stick with the RWS, read about the Golden Dawn and their meanings, RWS is pretty much GD in disguise plus biblical symbols like euripides said. This will give you a strong base you can build upon.

Then, look for decks which have guidebooks available, or start by simply reading the LWBs of the new decks you'll buy. Every new meaning will broaden your understanding of a card.

To me, learning the Tarot is pretty much like learning to play Go: you can read about it or you can practice on your own, but it's the combination of both that will bring the best results!

As for the negative feelings: I have found that cards or even whole decks that give me the creeps, produced the most valuable insights for me. I think we don't like certain cards because they touch a weak point of us.