Newly published: The Mother's Wisdom Deck

Wintergreen

I just received a newly published oracle deck: The Mother's Wisdom Deck, by Niki Dewart, Elizabeth Marglin, illustrated by Jenny Kostecki-Shaw. I found it through the illustrator's blog. I haven't seen anything about it on AT, so I thought I'd post something about it.

It's a 52-card oracle deck: you can Google it to see pics (I haven't figured out how to post photos & links yet!). It comes in a really lovely package, with a 168-page full-colour book.

It was created for mothers, but it's also appropriate for anyone seeking guidance for creativity or issues on womanhood in general. The cards depict four groupings of female archetypes (Natural, Animal, Ancestral and Divine). The archetypes they chose cover many different religions, myths & worldviews. The book interprets these archetypes in the context of motherhood, but the illustrations don't necessarily depict the mother-child relationship in a literal way, focusing instead on the archetype's energy/story/inspirational attributes, which gives the deck a lot of depth.

All in all, I'd say its a very positive, uplifting deck, and I'll be using it regularly to inspire creativity.

merissa_88

I looked at it on Amazon. Thanks for posting. I'll check out some scans of cards.

What do you think of the Ancestral and Animal archetypes? That type of thing usually interests me.

Wintergreen

Hi Merissa.
They've chosen some interesting characters for the animal and ancestral archetypes.
Nothing really surprising in terms of animal symbolism, which makes it easy to read if you have some familiarity with that. For example: Monkey is equated with the archetype of the Trickster, Owl with awareness. They do elaborate creatively about how the symbolism can be related to motherhood (which I equate with creativity).
For the Ancestral archetypes, they've made some original choices: The Pythia, Sappho, Sorgaghtani, Curandera, and even Queen Victoria, among others.
What I really like is that for each archetypal attribute, they've also added a shadow attribute: Connection/Isolation, Healer/Martyr, Fierce Love/Denial, Grace/Failure...

Wintergreen

aside from it's specific focus on and for mothers, the system reminds me of Carolyn Myss's Archetype deck.

I'll have to check that one out.

merissa_88

Hi Merissa. For the Ancestral archetypes, they've made some original choices: The Pythia, Sappho, Sorgaghtani, Curandera, and even Queen Victoria, among others.
What I really like is that for each archetypal attribute, they've also added a shadow attribute: Connection/Isolation, Healer/Martyr, Fierce Love/Denial, Grace/Failure...

That is interesting. I like the idea of shadow aspects to the archetypes, particularly about creativity (the Grace/Failure idea is particularly interesting since there can be so many ups and downs in the creative process).

Also, thanks AJ for the scans. Don't know if the art is for me but I like the idea.

La Hierbera

I just found out about this deck a few days ago, promptly ordered it and received it today. What a lovely deck, book and packaging! While it is geared towards mothers (and their relationships with their children), I feel this could also be applied towards other kinds of 'mothering' whether for ourselves, with others, or our relationship with the Great Mother. I'm really excited to delve into this deck. I'm surprised it's not included in the AE list of decks. It definitely deserves a proper review, imho.