Nigel Jackson - Knight of Staves

sapienza

In this deck, the Knight of Staves is the airy knight. We see a young man sitting on a golden brown horse. He is dressed in purple and golden yellow and wears a purple hat with a large feather in it. He holds an arrow upright in his left hand. The horse looks straight ahead and is standing on a grassy field. There are a few rocks beside it and in the background rolling hills which lead to a castle. The sky is blue with clouds at the horizon.

Etteilla lists departure, displacement, separation, absence, flight, migration, and translation as upright meanings for this card. Waite agrees but also adds a dark young man and a change of residence. The Golden Dawn link the card with fire and have far more negative meanings. Nigel Jackson gives a medium-dark man, intuition, departure and good economic sense as possible divinatory meanings.

When using traditional historical decks like the TdM and my Ancient Italian, I have always seen this card as 'the traveller' and for me that fits in this deck as well. He appears to me to be someone on a journey. He has left the castle in the background behind and is seeking new and exciting adventures.

From my journal I also associated the following ideas with this card; freedom, activities that give a sense of freedom, movement without a fixed plan or itinerary, movement that gives the feeling of freedom, breaking away, travel, exploring, actions that remind one of an earlier and freer time in life, the wind in your hair.

In everyday life we are not always travelling in the sense of being on a journey but some of the ideas above may be evident instead. When I see this card I think primarily of freedom, or the sense of freedom, movement and exploration.