Noob Question about Houses...

Sinduction

Hi everyone. I'm trying to get back into astrology and I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer for.

Here's my chart.

My question is this: When reading the placement of the planets in my chart, shall I read them as what sign they are in or what house? My chart looks so mish-mash to me, almost every house is split between two signs.

For example, My moon is in Pisces but shows in my 3rd house, which is Aquarius. Mars and Venus both show in Aries but in my 4th house of Pisces.

So, house or sign?

This seems like a very simple question so I'm sorry if I'm being completely daft! Perhaps I've spent too much time online. :D

Minderwiz

You need to do both!

Planets are the actors in the chart, Signs give an indication of how well they play their part and Houses indicate the areas of your life in which they are most likely to play a role.

The Houses themselves are not modified by the Signs, in the sense that the third House deals with the same things whatever the sign. You therefore read your Moon by firstly determining the general role played by the Moon in any chart (there are actually several roles it could play but most people will think initially of its role as an indicator of your sensitive, intuitive, non-rational side). Pisces shows how well the Moon is likely to play this role. Pisces is the mutable Water Sign. You might picture this as moving Water, especially the ocean currents. The Moon is not particularly at home in such situations - its not particularly wet (Cancer is associated with the shoreline and the Moon is also exalted in Taurus, an earth sign). So the Moon in Pisces has rather more intense feelings and emotions than it is particularly happy with.

The Third House is usually associated with siblings, neighbours and the neighbourhood, including the neighbourhood school, which is usually the primary school and the short journeys involved in local travel. So the lunar side of your character is most likely to be expressed in your dealings with siblings, neighbours, early school life and in short journeys

The skill begins with trying to take these key ideas and beginning to characterise your expression of this side of your character. The Moon may well be associated with other areas of your life through aspects it makes to other planets and points and through the House it rules,the one with Cancer on the cusp (the eighth)

The Moon is also a planet that makes a significant contribution to your temperament (a classical term but one which underlies some of the personality and learning theories of psychologists).

I've been very basic here so there's plenty of room to begin to develop not only these themes but also to explore other aspects of the Moon's symbolism in a chart.

Sinduction

Thank you so much Minderwiz! That makes a lot of sense, I never would have thought about planets as actors and the signs and houses, etc. That's a great way to stick it in my swiss cheese memory. I haven't gotten to how planets interact with other planets, but even that fits with the actor theme. Who will take the supporting role, or the antagonistic role? What a great concept you have shared with me!

The more I learn, the more I love this subject. Even if I study for years, there will still be more to learn.

Thank you for helping me learn. :D

strangebrew

Moon in the third house is an indication of a person who needs to talk through their emotional problems and express them openly

Mars in the 4th and in Aries is very much someone wanting to "take over" their home. My son has mars in 4th and although very young, he likes to dictate how things should be lol!! I also once read it as "war in the home"

Hope this helps!!

:)