Reading playing cards - Duggins-Briggs method

OxfordBear

I was idly looking at articles on cartomancy in Scribd the other day when I found something which was, to me, very new. It is quite the most unusual method of cartomancy I've ever encountered. All I can find about it on the web is a "cheat sheet" of card meanings, which was on Scribd (one side of A4) and a half-hour video on Youtube (posted in 2012) by a Mr Willis Briggs Jr., who also runs a website with various decks of cards for sale. According to Mr Briggs it's the way his mother reads the cards.

In this system, the aces through fours have specific meanings of their own, and then the fives through tens represent love (hearts), money (diamonds), pain/tears (clubs) and anger (spades), all of which increase in intensity with the rank of the card. The exception to this is that the sevens have no meaning of their own; when you run through the pack, they are just there to tell you to lay down the following card. The court cards describe unmarried men (Jacks), women (Queens) and married men (Kings) by matching suit to hair colour in the traditional way. Many of the cards have a different meaning when they fall reversed. Most unusually, this is the only system of cartomancy I've seen that uses both the Jokers.

I'd be interested to know where the system originated, or whether Mrs Briggs worked it out for herself. It seems a very "no b---s---" way of reading the cards - it deals with love, trips, dodgy dealings, impending danger, money, deception and drinking - no New Age noodlings here! Does this resemble anything anyone knows about?

magicjack

Yea, I like his system. Very easy. Of course you can change a few things if you wanted to. He had a link to his list of meanings but it wouldn't work. When your working with playing cards you really want something easy and uncomplicated. He does say it is from his mother and it is evolving.

Here is another system that looks interesting too:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040612081553/http://hedgewytchery.com/cartomancy.html