Reading with only Minors

Ambrosia

For the most part I generally use the whole deck. Occassionally I will use the Majors on their own for spiritual questions, or questions of great import. But im wondering if there are times people use the minors on their own, and in what situations would you do that? Im guessing it would be good for day to day mundane things? But then if you use the majors as well, they can highlight any particular areas of importance. Do you think something would be missing if you use only minors for some readings?

poivre

Hi Ambrosia! :)

My idea of using only the Minors would be they will give you the
everyday energy or situations which are on the surface.

The Majors would give you the big picture or the lesson which
is occuring.

Sometimes I have put three piles on the table.
One with just Majors, one with just Minors and then the Courts.
I have pulled
One Major
Three Minors
One - Three Courts to do a reading.

Minors alone will give you a story!
Have fun and experiment!

ros
:)

Ambrosia

Hi Ros, :) Thats a great idea! Im a musician/songwriter and I love the idea of the minors being used to tell a story. Perhaps this could be used in songwriting too. I have had some success with using the whole deck for writing and have even developed a songwriting spread.
Thanks for your input. :)

Le Fanu

great, thought-provoking thread.

Interesting, as only this morning, I picked up an old Tarocchi deck (the Tarot Allemand ás deux têtes), and separated the Minors (basically a standard playing card deck but with the four court cards) and I wondered what it would be like just to read with them, read them not as a deck of playing cards, but read them as if they were the tarot Minors. Am I making sense?

Anyway, I did a three card spread for the day and was amazed at how they picked up on a current, "everyday" energy issue. It made perfect sense. It seemed right somehow that there weren´t any Majors there. The reading was so immediate and spoke so directly about the day at hand.

And I too, only this morning, asked myself the exact same question you are asking, Ambrosia! :)

Ambrosia

Great minds and all that jazz eh Le fanu? :D
Im glad im not the only one asking this question. I too have often thought that using minors on their own at times would be great for gaining insight into everyday, mundane type situations. Sometimes I feel as if a major card in the mix detracts from the simplicity of everyday concerns, making us feel as though there is "more" to something than there in fact is. Some questions just *are* of a mundane day to day quality. Thanks for your insights. :)

Erzebet

I've done a few readings using only the minors. Sometimes for a general overview of different aspects of my life. Such as seperating the minors into each pile and then drawing a card from each pile for each part of my life. Cups=emotional, Swords=mental Wands=spiritual Pentacles=health,work.....and so forth.

I've also done this asking a question on a relationship. I love just using the minors, it can work great for certain questions :)

I also have just used the Courts for readings, especially for love and family questions.

Ambrosia

Erzebet said:
I've done a few readings using only the minors. Sometimes for a general overview of different aspects of my life. Such as seperating the minors into each pile and then drawing a card from each pile for each part of my life. Cups=emotional, Swords=mental Wands=spiritual Pentacles=health,work.....and so forth.

Thats a great idea. I will definately be trying this out. :)
Thanks Erzebet.

Always Wondering

I think I could go for years on the Thoth minors alone. The more I learn about them the more amazed I am with the wealth of astrological, numerical and Yi Ching information, not to mention the Qabalah and elemental dignities I am still trying to get my brain around. Of course I would miss the Major's especially the High Priestess. But I could do it.

AW

minrice

For me I don't think I could do just the minors! I like having all this anticipation about what is going to show up next! Moon? Oooo... Devil *gasp* I like the mystery surrounding the majors and for me leaving them out would eliminate something like 1/3? of the fun!