Returning cards to the deck when using a spread

LilySage

I asked this question as part of another question, but I want to give it more voice separatey.

If we take several cards for a spread, one by one, then for each subsequent card we are limiting the options of the available cards to choose from.

What if your question is between action A and action B - what if the real outcome is the same? It won't be possible as the first card will be taken already. You would have to get a different card for outcome A and outcome B. And it will make it look like the outcomes for A and B have to be different. By design.

This kinda forces a limitation on your answers. You know what I mean?

Especially if you use many cards in a spread. What if the same card would be appropriate for answering more than one "spread position"? Like it would be appropriate for "Past" and for, I don't know, "your worries", or something like that.

Marirowana

I'm glad you brought it up here too, I'm curious to read the responses! :)

I know what you mean, especially with larger spreads with 20+ cards - when you lay the 21st card, you can only choose from 58 cards, while maybe the right card for that spot in the spread is already occupied. Do larger spreads limit themselves?

On the other hand, it is 'necessary' to have all the cards out next to eachother in order to see the connections between the cards.

There are cards with similar meanings, the outcome can be interpreted the same with different cards. It is a nice question to think about, in theory, but I know that I will never put cards back during a reading,

It reminds me of probability calculation in highschool, you know, the red and blue marbles in a bag :D

dancing_moon

If we take several cards for a spread, one by one, then for each subsequent card we are limiting the options of the available cards to choose from.

This is just statistically speaking. When I shuffle a deck in order to lay out, say, a Celtic Cross, the deck arranges all 10 cards for my spread at the same time. That way it's the deck/Universe/whoever who picks from the 78 cards simultaneously. I have nothing to do with it. :)

What if your question is between action A and action B - what if the real outcome is the same?

Impossible. Unless your actions really don't change anything significantly in the outcome in question (every action affects the Universe, mind it :) ). Even if your actions really don't affect anything much in the matter at hand, a Tarot deck has a plenty of similar/mutually interchangeable cards or would show different aspects of the same outcome.

InionAradia

I agree with dancing- I mean, really, we're just the vessels, not the constructors. The Universe has already decided what cards are needed for what, regardless of the number. Regardless of how many cards are left, the ones that are needed will be there (well, as long as you started with a full deck, anyway. Although, that's another debate entirely.) Just my opinion, though.

MistressMorrigan

I also agree with dancing_moon and InionAradia. The other thing to keep in mind, though, is that quite a few cards can have very similar meanings. So, to use your example about outcome A and outcome B... Let's say that the outcome for either is a positive one. Let's say that you'll experience some good news, that you've been waiting anxiously for. Well, there are a few cards that could be interpreted to mean this. All of the pages can represent messengers, or a message. The 8 of Wands can potentially represent good news from afar, or, more specifically, a positive end to a period of waiting.

Pick a possible outcome, and there are at least two cards in the deck that can communicate such an outcome. I think that's part of the incredible mystery of the cards. The messages of the cards are never limited, despite the size of the layout, because the Universe will find a way to communicate that message, perhaps even in surprising ways.