Six of Wands-- at times not so victorious?

Starshine617

Hello fellow Thoth students,

Just a simple question... I was wondering, if anyone could discuss their feelings about the six of wands ("victory")? I noticed there is no entry for this card under the table of contents.

I ask about this card because it has often been the very *first* card to come up in a reading about a matter that was, in the end, unsuccessful. The best example I can think of is, a while back I did a reading about how a relationship would go with this fellow. The "victory" card came up first, and I was surprised because, to be honest, I only felt lukewarm about him and did not see him becoming more favorable in my eyes. However, I took this card to mean maybe I would start liking him more and things would take off-- they soon fizzled into nothing not long after the reading. I'm wondering if the "Victory" here was that we were wrong for each other and that we would be victorious in figuring that out and going our separate ways (he initiated the end, but I was glad for it...)

Or, am I taking this whole victory thing too literal?

-Starshine.

brightcrazystar

in general, this card "Victory" is not auspicious for an intitial relationship.

In indicates a lack of a need for one. Jupiter is at the crown of the staves of perfected self. Leo is rooted in the core of being, and all the wands are obstacles to the both.

The general reading in relationship is you do not complete each other - generally having nothing the other feels a strong urge for. Elements of lust can showforth, but not overwhelmingly as energy is generally self-focused. Expansiveness of Jupiter as air fuels the fire of Leo's pride well and strong, but not really needing another spark.

For Crowley, this feeling of not needing anyone for self-experience and self-assurance was "Victory" - so this term can be misleading if you are seeking advice for lovers or relationships.

Aeon418

Hi Starshine617,

All the 6's are cards of balance. There's an element of give and take or reflection in them. In the 6 of Wands the masculine force is symbolised by the 6 Wands. But this is balanced by the 9 flames. 9 is of course Lunar and is often symbolic of all things Feminine. In this card it represents stabilization because the masculine energy is being received and reflected by the feminine in equal proportion.

You said, "I only felt lukewarm about him and did not see him becoming more favorable in my eyes." In essence he may have been trying to "shine" his light on you, but you weren't fully receptive to it. So the light you reflected back to him was "lukewarm". This lack of reciprocity is probably the reason why he instigated the end.

In this case I think the cards have been very honest and blunt. The bottom line being, you'll get out of this relationship exactly what you put into it.

Edit: A word on Victory. The title may have seemed misleading in this case. But is any Victory achieved without effort?

Always Wondering

It always helps me to use the Book T titles with the Thoth pips. This can be as easy as adding "The Lord of . . ." as soon as I see the card. This often gives me an instant feeling of domain.

Then I can see The Lord of Victory would rule over all aspects of victory, high and low. This gets me to the middle of the energy of the card. Only then can I trust my further inerpratation no matter what a book says. If I am inwardly cringing over Cruelity or Sorrow, it's just no good.

Mostly it is enough to understand what energy is in the situation, that's where the books come in. This gives me a lot to work with. Also my reaction to the title, if I can't get to the middle of the energy, that tells me a lot as well.

AW

Starshine617

Thank you everyone for your insights on this card.

Always Wondering, yes, I do try to put the full title in front of a card when considering its interpretation (The Lord of... and so forth) and that usually helps, although this card had me stumped!

Aeon, yes, agreed the 6's are all about balance. I get a certain feeling of peace and serenity every time any one of the 6's comes up. I'm beginning to see the six of wands as more of a call for balance. (Or, otherwise, the Universe will create its own balance thus achieving "victory" one way or the other!)

Brightcrazystar-- Yes! This card tends to come up when the querent is about to undergo some "single and loving it" time!

Thanks for shedding light on this for me!

-Starshine.

ravenest

I haven't found 'victory' a good indication of a a 'successful' relationship exploration ... unless both parties are having a 'victory'.

I've always found relationships between two individuals, on strong individual paths ... that are having some success with their development makes for a great 'joint exploration' - if they are insync with each others 'current'.

Relationship explorations that are based on some developmental need from the other person seem, to me, to be the unclear ones, the ones that often get bogged down in 'lower plane' stuff.

'Victory' might blow a relationship like that apart, but the 'victory' isnt an indicator of hopes in a relationship, its more about triumphs over difficulties in ones self development ... and that might mean getting out of a relationship that is, or potentially could, restrict your growth away from the flowering and development of your individual 'genius'.

Starshine617

Ravenest,

What wonderful insight into this card when it comes up in a love/relationship reading! I do see how this card has come up in the past to suggest a personal victory, me or the querent resolving a particular issue of our own developmental path. There's really nothing in the card that suggests duality... so it must represent a personal victory.

Thank you for your insight!

-Starshine617.

poopsie

Hi starshine

Here's my two-bits worth because I am also currently struggling with this card. Better late than never to share my own insight.

In a reading, the 6 of Wands or Scepters actually indicates winning over something or someone -- winning in overcoming a problem, a bad experience, feeling a sense of accomplishment and triumph over being able to hurdle ... It indicates that there were issues initially in the person’s life and now, with effort and blessings, the person is finally “winning”. It appears to be more the result or effect of a process or effort which we have done.

There is order and balance as indicated by the wands -- energies are up and should be taken advantage of. What are important here are the following: the issues may involve having to compete with something or someone; opportunities have been leveraged upon and there is a deserving winner. This seems to be more of a results-based card -- it means that the person has gone through a situation, underwent a process and is now reaping good results.

However, what I am not yet certain is that are we also expected to be happy with the “victory” we got? This is the part where time will tell and heal ...