Some advice on connecting w/ a deck?

Parasphere

I've had the Morgan Greer for ages and absolutely love it. I love everything about it and try to use it as often as I can.

BUT...

I don't know why there's something stopping me from really 'being' with it the way I 'am' with other decks. I don't know why! It's like I *WANT* to love it more but can't. Like there's something standing in the way. I cannot relate to it.

Could it be that it's simply not a deck I am meant to use? Can I do anything to change this situation, besides spending time with it, studying the cards, placing it under my pillow etc etc?

My question applies generally to any deck this happens with but in this case, it's the MG.

Any input would be appreciated!

punchinella

Some decks are meant to be looked at not used :) Others are meant to be hoarded not looked at :|

greatdane

AH Parasphere...been there, done that

I realized after getting several decks that what I may be attracted to aesthetically wasn't a reading deck for me. That what I found pleasing to the eye might not automatically resonate with my psyche. I LOVE the Pamela Comm, but I wouldn't necessarily put it on my walls. It's a very special reading deck for me. I think it's beautiful, but aesthetically in my own space (as in furnishings, pictures) I'm kind of simple, what I call Lush Spartan Danish Contemporary Zen! LOL Simple lines, simple furnishings, then maybe a lush plant, an overstuffed pillow to keep it from looking austere. I also have a love of the eclectic and my great aunt was an antique dealer and collector. So certain decks resonate with me on one level, just not as readers.

So I get it. You can just love LOOKING at a deck, but that doesn't make it a reader. I got three Bohemian Gothics and several other decks that have moved along to other owners before this really sunk in.

For me, if I have to try too hard to meld with a deck, it's not for me. That doesn't mean I won't give it a chance, but I know pretty quickly what reads cold for me. And many have been beautiful decks that were lovely to behold.

And FYI, I even journalled, card by card, with the Bohemian Gothics before moving them along. I SO wanted to read with them, but just wasn't resonating for me. LOVE the pix tho. You may try that, getting a little notebook, looking at the deck, card by card, and seeing if that helps.

Minotauro

well for me...
and this may be because I just recently got the option to have other decks besides a rider waite.

is , the longer it takes for me to understand it , or the harder it is to decipher its symbols the better. I end up liking it much more.

this is happening to me right now with the golden tarot of klimt http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/golden-klimt/

in order to understand some of the symbols used and despicted scenes I have to search for the source paintings and what it was mean to be and say ,who are the characters in that painting? what gustav klimt said about said painting , what it meant to him. one example is the fool a card wich was a deal breaker for most people because it looks like this
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/4d/80/fde9b2c008a0141de3ba8010.L.jpg

not the happy go lucky positive cheerfull fool most people are used to , BUT afetr a tiny bit of web research I found the source was a painting called philosophy and this is what it was about and how Klimt described the painting:

Klimt described the painting as follows: "On the left a group of figures, the beginning of life, fruition, decay. (one of those figures is the fool) On the right, the globe as mystery. Emerging below, a figure of light: knowledge." Critics were disturbed by its depiction of men and women drifting in an aimless trance. The original proposal for the theme of the painting was "The Victory of Light over Darkness", but what Klimt presented instead was a dreamlike mass of humanity, referring neither to optimism nor rationalism, but to a "viscous void".

and that's how it makes sense :) foir me at least.

so maybe , if it is harder to understand , and if you are like me , the wait and work will pay off :) after spending time trying to understad each card you'll be conected to each card and to all of them.
but if you're not like me... it will just be hard and confusing and frustrating and bleh.

Bhavana

As the above poster said, sometimes doing some research to learn more about a deck's symbolism is helpful - but I don't see any deeper mysterious meanings with the Morgan Greer. It's pretty self explanatory, and really just a RW with big in-your-face images. I am going to guess that it just isn't the deck for you. I have had some weird back and forth feelings about it myself...I have seen it online, seen it in person, handled the cards....and decided NOT to get it. Then I ordered it from somewhere, then thought about it some more and cancelled the order...now I am thinking I want it again. I am probably going to wind up getting it, but who knows how I will feel long term.

Certain decks just don't do it for everyone. I have found that to be true even with decks I find attractive.

lilangel09

I never think, "It's not a deck I'm meant to use." Even if it's really hard. It took at least 2 years for a TdM to speak to me because I was thinking or trying too hard.

If it's a deck you really love, I think it's possible to be with it in the sense you are talking about.

There are decks I love but only to look at and there are decks I love to read with. I only separate it that way because some aren't worth the effort to me to learn in-depth, some I don't care to know any further, and some are very personal or feel very 'me.',

I only have one deck that I feel very close to and it's the first deck I ever got. All the rest aren't as close because they don't hold as special a meaning to me. It's the one I read with a lot and experienced a lot firsts with.

I think if you spend time with it, look at it, and see how the images relate to your life, you'll get closer to your deck.

Actually, I'm curious. Right now, are you reading with several decks (more than 2), or just the Morgan Greer? Because when you read with several decks, it can take the bonding to that deck away, and it becomes 'another deck.' When I read exclusively with a deck, I get closer to it because we've been through things together, think about its images, and think about how the images relate to random thoughts or life.

Grizabella

I love the Morgan Greer, too, but never use it. I even had a friend make me a special bag just for that deck, but I still don't use it. I don't even think it's especially pretty. LOL Go figure! I'll never part with it, though.

I'm the same with the Aquarian. That one I do think is kind of pretty and I really love the New Palladini by the same artist but I don't read with it, either, because I don't like the King and Queen of Pentacles in it. Otherwise I love the art.

I just keep them all, though, because on some level, they're just part of my heart and I may never know why.

Hang onto it and after you're more experienced, you might just read like a wildfire with it. If not, maybe it will be like with me---they're part of your heart and not to be parted with, but you'll never use them.

Parasphere

Thanks a bunch for your responses everyone. Unfortunately, I think it is indeed not a deck I can work with. Greatdane and Punchinella - you're spot on. I never thought of it in a "this is really beautiful but it's simply not a readable deck for me and that's fine" way. Now I see what you say. I now acknowledge that it just doesn't do it for me, full stop.

Everyone else, thank you for your opinions. This particular deck is not one that I need to research any further. This has been an issue for a long time now, and I know all I can about the cards. I think I'll leave it for a while and focus on decks that work. Lilangel, yes I read with more than two, and I know what you mean that it can take the attention away, but I'm sure the MG is not one I can read with at all. It's kind of a relief to finally admit it. Haha!

Thanks again guys :)