Tarot of a Moon Garden

Freddie

Hi All,

I just ordered this premier edition from Amazon U.K. for a nice price. I haven't read for awhile and was looking for a deck I could use with my wife and son (friends and general readings too). I know it's been descrbed as a female deck, but I see it as more a even balance of male - female - adult - children. When I first saw this deck my male attitude said 'No way' even though I liked it. I like the dream quality of the deck and I think that leads to 'good' readings.

Whom else likes/uses this deck here?

freddie

Dragon Rider

I ordered the premier edition and it's still on its way here. I'm female, but I never really considered this deck a feminine-oriented one. I see it more as a "fantasy" deck. :) I'll leave more feedback when it finally arrives in the mail ;)

Alta

I was just looking at and considering this deck in the store yesterday. Didn't buy it, but tempted.

One of our members bought an uncoloured version, found the project too daunting and farmed it out. Sadly it was never completed but here is the partially done project:

http://www.theinvoker.com/DOMproject.htm

You can click on each individual image for a larger version.

I was Marion at that point and really enjoyed taking part, always gave me a soft spot toward the deck.

Alta

Aulruna

I really love the Tarot of a Moon Garden. It is also much deeper (and on occasion, even darker) than the softo colour palette and the population of gnomes and elves suggests at first.

I have gained some wonderful insights form it - my only woe are the borders, which take away too much of the images!

There actually is a study group for it too, though sadly, it does not have many threads:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=734872

northsea

Freddie said:
I know it's been descrbed as a female deck, but I see it as more a even balance of male - female - adult - children. When I first saw this deck my male attitude said 'No way' even though I liked it.

Well, the World card is more feminine than standard even though it's hard to get more feminine than a nude female LOL. The ToMG is comparatively rich in tarot symbolism such as the cornucopia in the Empress card, the runes in the Hanged Man, and the four beasts on the Wheel of Fortune ferris wheel. Still I think of getting rid of it sometimes since it's kind of lightweight.

I once had a very pleasant dream about the perfect tarot deck, it had perfect symbolism and alot of aquas and dolphins, blah, blah, blah, don't ask me why I was dreaming this (I don't know), so when I later woke up, I decided to get the Moon Garden though it wasn't exactly what I was dreaming of, which I think was more like the Lellewlyn brand tarot that went OOP, with five suits, forget its name right now.

stefficus

i bought this deck online, and then when i got it thought, "oh. wow. that's... light. and... rainbow-y." it was (and still is) all fairies and flowers and horses with rainbow manes and butterflies.

ick.

but the more i looked at it, the more i realized it took me back to childhood and a time when i first started exploring the occult without all my adult baggage, and it actually gives pretty good readings. if you can get past the fact that it looks like one of those fuzzy posters (and it sounds like you can, since you've seen it and liked it), it seems to be able to connect with the child-sight in a person. something about the imagery side-steps the adult doubt subroutines (for me, anyway) and lets me read in a less structured, more free way.

it does seem to be more structured than i tend to prefer in that it looks like it sticks pretty closely to the RWS interpretations where such a thing is obvious. and, yeah, some of the minors (especially in the suit of wands, IIRC) are not so clear if you tend to read intuitively and rely on the pictures rather than the tradition, or at least as that relates to "regular" meanings of the cards.

and, yes, there's a "my little pony" pegasus on the sun card. i am not even making this up.

but i like it, and it's a good deck to pull out for anyone who might be intimidated by more esoteric or darker decks, it's a great deck for kids, and it's... easy. dreamlike. accessible.

i guess what i'm saying is, i like it more than i thought i would, and i don't consider it "light" as much as i think it's gentle and a little surreal and childlike, which is different than childish.

stefficus

northsea said:
The ToMG is comparatively rich in tarot symbolism such as the cornucopia in the Empress card, the runes in the Hanged Man, and the four beasts on the Wheel of Fortune ferris wheel.
you're right about that; this is one of my favorite empress cards, for a variety of reasons.

Morwenna

Aulruna said:
I really love the Tarot of a Moon Garden. It is also much deeper (and on occasion, even darker) than the softo colour palette and the population of gnomes and elves suggests at first.

I have gained some wonderful insights form it - my only woe are the borders, which take away too much of the images!

The borders are what annoy me about the deck; it's the fact that they're decorative but jar against the artwork of the cards.

As for femininity, I was introduced to this deck by a male friend who reads very well with it.