Tarot Revelations by Joseph Campbell & Richard Roberts - Opinions?

sapienza

Hi. I was thinking of getting a copy of the book:

Tarot Revelations by Joseph Campbell & Richard Roberts

It seems to be OOP but easy enough to get a copy of. Has anyone read it? If so, what is it like? I have a real interest in the links between mythology and the tarot. Alternatively, does anyone know any other books that explore this subject?

Thanks SO much
Sapienza

Scion

Hey S!

n.b. Campbells's contribution is minimal. It's Roberts' show most of the way. Fine book but not great, and REALLY coasting on Campbell's reputation more than it should.

A couple others you might check out:
Tarot and the Journey of the Hero (Banzhaf)
Tarot: a Myth of Male Initiation (Newman)
Book of Thoth (Crowley) })
Renaissance Tarot: A Guide to the Renaissance Tarot (Williams)
Mythic Tarot Companion (Sharman-Burke)
The Devil's Picturebook (Huson)

There are also some wonderful guides to the reemergence of the pagan gods during the Renaissance which are superb guides to tehe European Christian appropriation of these stories and symbols. Two off the top of my head:
The Survival of the Pagan Gods (Seznec)
Mirror of the Gods (Bull)

...and if you're feeling Greek and you've never read Robert Graves Greek Myths, you will LOVE it.

sapienza

Thanks so much for the recommendations!

I had heard that Campbell's contribution was quite brief which is why I thought I'd post to ask for options from the experts :)

I just recently got given the Renaissance deck and so I picked up a copy of the book as well. I'm just starting on it now. The Mythic was my first deck and so the companion book was my introduction to the tarot.

I'll definitely check out the others on your list.....not that I really NEED any more reading just at the moment :D

Thanks

ETA - my husband said he never knows what to buy for me if he wants to get me a gift so I thought I'd give him a wishlist. He knows that perfume or jewellery are NOT the way to go for me :laugh: