Temperance issues

SkadisPhoenix

I've always seen Temperance as the card of perfect mixture and temperment, things coming together, but she often seems to be portrayed as an angel, and that wouldn't be right for my deck. I was wondering what people felt, and if they thought that the following description could work:

A woman is seated in front of a blank canvas, mixing paints on a palette, with a water fountain on the table next to her, and a prism in the background. The prism is set hanging from a window, with the rainbow shining around the scene, while the woman has her feet resting in a pool of water.

I know that's not that traditional an image, but it's what I see every time I close my eyes and meditate on the Temperance card. The woman would be wearing white clothes too, the perfect mixture of all the colours of the rainbow.

What are your favourite depictions of Temperance, and why do you like these depictions so much?

Hannafate

I can see that sort of image working. The balance of color and form...

I put sine waves in mine. Perfectly tuned.

SkadisPhoenix

sine waves?

Hannafate

A sine wave is the simplest form of periodic motion. A tuning fork creates a sine wave, in the sound pressure of the air.

http://radarproblems.com/chapters/ch05.dir/ch05pr.dir/c05p1.dir/sinewave.gif

A perfectly tuned radio signal will produce a sine wave on an oscilloscope.

oscilloscope.jpg

I used to do some electronic work, can you tell?

SkadisPhoenix

I recognise that from A-Level maths! I feel silly now. I've also just realised that if I click on the cards on your site, I can view the larger image!

But I'm nervous about my deck. For some reason, I don't feel that I should DRAW any of them until I've got all 78 written out, and I've got as far as The Star (not including the Devil), and the four aces done, so I feel like I'm doing well! :D

Hannafate

It's a heck of a lot of work. The only reason I am getting along so quickly on the deck I am drawing is that I worked out the designs nearly 20 years ago.

I's still working on the Tarot of the Roses. That may be a couple more years before I am happy with all the images.

SkadisPhoenix

My ideas are going well, though I say so myself, I'm just wondering about my drawing ability... Whether I'll be able to get the images onto paper the way they should be...

AND I'm only 23, so how seriously would publishers take me? :neutral:

Hannafate

I had stuff published at that age. Artwork and poetry.

Just draw. Take classes, read books. Declare yourself good enough. Try getting your artwork into magazines and shows. While you are working on your deck, you can also be working on your artistic skills, your networking and marketing yourself.

If you do it right, everything comes together, and after twenty years, you become an overnight success! :D

SkadisPhoenix

Haha, that would be awesome. I think the teaching myself to draw will have to wait for a month or two, until I have money, but in the meantime, I'll keep typing and writing (I've a notebook AND a word document, JUST in case. :))