The Elemental Pentagram Spread

mrmond

Hi!

I think someone probably had this idea before me, but I've searched the forum and found nothing, so I post this spread. I was inspired by a picture of the elements being ruled by the Spirit, organized in the form of a Pentagram.

Before you start laying the cards out, you need to separate the Major Arcana from the Minor. Then you lay them as follows:

**1**
2***3
*4*5*

The first card is from the Major Arcana, all the rest are Minors.

1 - the Spirit. Here you lay one card from the Major Arcana. It represents the overall theme of the matter you are asking about. It will affect the reading of all the other cards.
2 - Fire. This card represents the energy, will, ambitions that are present.
3 - Air. Represents the intellectual aspects of the matter.
4 - Water. The emotional and the unconscious.
5 - Earth. The physical, but might also speak about finances, work, health.

As you can see, the reading is fairly simple. The important thing to remember is that you should read the elemental cards with relation to the Major Arcana card, which affects them all, and also about the relation between the cards' elements and their position (e.g. Wands, being the fire court, will not feel very well in the 4th position).

I think of this spread as primarily for rather precise questions, but I've also wondered about it being used for general readings, I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on that. The alternative is to build the Pentagram from Majors only, giving every aspect of life it's own Spirit card, and then drawing four Minors for every point, thus creating five Pentagrams connected with each other.