The Llewellyn Tarot-The Magician

easternsunrise

Gwydion has been chosen as the magician. The tale described in the book depicts him as a magician who uses his power to trick Pryderi. This is a bit different from the meanings I usually relate to this card. I often think of this card having meanings like making ideas happen, success at the end of a project, realization of personal power and such. I usually don't relate it to trickery. It is a magical looking card and suites the meanings I usually relate to this card fine. As we all know companion books are a guide not a rule. The card itself sticks pretty closely to the RWS card. This card pictures Gwydion holding a wand towards the sky in his right hand and pointing down to the ground with his left. The infinity symbol is on his cloak with the cup, sword, and pentacle located on the stone table. He has a very determined look on his face as if nothing can stop him. I do like that a lot.

PolarBear

Hi there easternsunrise,

I have come across the idea of trickery before. Apparently, some earlier renditions of the card represent the magician as a street charlatan playing the "hide the pea" game.

The comments by "Thirteen" on the meanings section of this site (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/magician.shtml) talk about this duality and the idea that the magician can be a prophet or a used car salesman!

In this light, the idea of Gwydion's trickery fits better than at first appears. However, I have to say that I am with you - the magician in this deck doesn’t really look like a charlatan (or is that just an indication of how good he is :)). Like you, I tend to associate this card with personal power and the ability to use words (in the sense of self-talk) to make your desires come true. Thirteen also talks about the power of words, and refers to Genesis (And God said let there be light and there was ...) - This made me think of Jean Luc Picard and his catchphrase "Make it so"! I think the magician in this deck has the same sort of aura as Picard - who is definitely not a trickster! :)

In my meanderings after Tarot meanings (http://www.biddytarot.com/cards.html is another favorite site) - I have noticed that the positive side of this card seems to be much more apparent than the trickster side - I wonder if this is a sign of the times and our culture's leaning (some might even say obsession) with personal power and self-improvement? (Not that I'm against personal power, you understand, I just wonder how this card might have been interpreted in, say, the middle ages when the social order was much more structured than today and I get the feeling that people might have seen power as something that came from outside themselves, or depended on their place in the social order.)

H’mm – all food for thought!

Thanks for starting me off these threads easternsunrise. I’ve got to the majors part of my IDS – so will undoubtedly be back! :)

PolarBear

P.S. - there is something also about the perspective in this card. I think the fact that we are looking up at the magician accentuates his aura of power!

le fey

Which is, itself, a time honored form of trickery and manipulating perception by situating yourself in a specific way compared to your 'audience' so that you give the illusion of being dominant.

There's a reason why podiums include a little stand that makes the speaker a wee bit taller than those nearby and it's not just so the folks in the back can see.

Ambrosia

I dont feel the magician in this card is a trickster at all. I find the card to be very RWS inspired but I love the way he is set in a lush earthy wild place, which makes me think he has the power to manipulate wordly matters, though only for good of course. I feel he really works with all the elements around him to bring about balance and understanding, only changing what is outgrown or unhealthy.