The RWS Minors Suit Stories from Stuart Kaplan

Cerulean

FelicityK pointed out the storylines that appeared in the Encyclopedia of the Tarot, Volume I on page 272. He described storylines for the various suits--all the information below is from Kaplan. If I find anything else, than I'll post in separate posts here.

I wish I knew if the storyline is just suggestive or perhaps I've just missed the references to it all these years!

Kaplan's note begins, "Interestingly, both the Rider-Waite tarot pack and the Royal Fez tarot pack designed by Michael Hobdell that closely follows the Smith-Waite designs, present a continuous story through the sequence of the cards in each suit. The three highest court cards in the suit of swords comprise a family of father, mother and eldest son. The king of swords is the father, the queen is the mother and the son is the knight. A young lad in servitude to the knight appears as the page. In the ten of swords the son is killed and the nine of swords shows a grieving sister sitting up in bed after a dream has revealed to her the terrible fate of her brother. The sister seeks to revenge her brother's death, and in the eight of swords she is captured and shown bound and blindfolded. In the seven of swords the page appears with swords symbolizing that help is on the way, and in the six of swords the sister and her young son are rescued by the page, who is also her lover. The page is now a warrior, and in the five of swords he is shown with the swords of his craft. In time, the page is also stricken by the sword and killed, four of swords, which causes much sadness as evidenced by the broken heart pierced by three swords in the three of swords. The two of swords shows the widow in mourning with swords of defiance and her eyes blindfolded to the way of peace, for she seeks revenge. The ace of swords emerges from a cloud, emphasizing that those who live by the sword are apt to die by it.

The suit of staves or clubs depicts the story of a family divided between the traditional ways and modern methods. Its moral is that harmony and progress are best attained when the old and new work together. The story of cups reveals the paths to happiness and the search for two brothers for companionship. The suit of coins relates the story of a wealthy family and the temptations and the alternatives afforded them by the luxeries of wealth.

Encyclopedia of the Tarot
Volume I
First Printing 1978...Eighth printing 2001
Copyright 1978 by Stuart R. Kaplan

edited to note that if I find anything else, I will add to the thread. Haven't found anything....anyone else?

dadsnook2000

Interesting

Interesting. I have Volume One, never noticed it, will check it out. Thanks. Dave.

Kit

Thankyou Cerulean but please please please post the stories about the other suits too. I'm dying to read them but can not yet afford Encyclopedia of the Tarot.
Please?
Raeven

Lee

Those suits quoted by Cerulean are the only ones Kaplan writes about in the Encyclopedia, unfortunately.

-- Lee