The Sh*t Happens Tarot Deck by Dawn Kelly (cards contain obscenity)

beginagain

No, seriously, that's what this is called.

It is, however, a little misleading. While it's got 'Tarot Deck' in the name, at forty five cards, all containing what could euphemistically called a 'common saying' as well as a short paragraph of advice, this probably counts as an oracle rather than a tarot deck. I couldn't say for certain because I've never actually held an oracle deck, but that's what I'm taking a guess on. I am, however, placing this review in the section because it's called a tarot deck on the cover. Just so as it's clear.

This is a rather strange deck, very much like laminated flash cards. They are quite large at 9.5cm by 14cm. I wouldn't care to shuffle them. The lamination on them is quite heavy; they feel more like plasticised paper as opposed to paper that just has plastic on it. The design on them is extremely simple. Front and back is a geometric pattern of diamonds arranged in a spiral, with the backs a blue-green diamond against a dark purple background, and with the fronts all in a variety of individual colours that can be arranged in a very attractive colour wheel. Up the top is the name of the card (with random asterisks and numbers signs and @), and underneath is a short description of the term and the advice given. As for the cards themselves... this is where the air turns a little blue. You've been warned.

We'll start with the most innocuous card:

Golly Gosh: Are you really expressing how you feel? Be honest with yourself and others and let the healing begin.

Well, that wasn't so bad was it? Let's take another:

Oh my God: Have you been neglecting your spirituality? This doesn't mean you have to join a church, it means that you need to connect to your happiness and life purpose. Find the deeper meaning of your life.

Hah! Cute! Another:

Crack the Sh*ts: Have you been bottling up your emotions? If you don't express yourself regularly, resentments will build up and you explode! If you have an issue with someone, tell them.

...oh-kay. All right. One more:

Mother F#*ker: Are you in tune with your feminine side? Be more open to new things, nuture yourself and express your feelings to others.

I'm going to call a halt right here because I'm probably in enough trouble with the mods as it is. All in all, would I recommend this deck? Well, yes, I would to people I know would appreciate it. Anyone who knows me knows that I have a potty mouth and a potty sense of humour, and I appreciate people I can share it with. I wouldn't, however, recommend this deck to anyone I didn't know well, or at least know well enough to know that they wouldn't get the joke. As for the advice on the cards themselves... some of it is actually, um, kind of good, even if it's meant to be more satirical than motivational.

Overall? Not a tarot deck, despite what it says on the cover. Definitely contains swears. Also contains some Australian terms, which may confuse readers who don't speak ocker. Simple designs front and back, large cards, pretty colours, good advice, heavy lamination, lots and lots of foul language with strategically placed #, *, % and @ signs. Sense of humour definitely required.

OaksWhispering

Hm. Not for me, though I definitely know someone who would appreciate it as more of a thing to use at a small get together with some best friends and some drinks. Probably more of an unconventional oracle deck

Tansey Ella

I have looked at this deck and it is downloadable to an android device. I can barely use my computer so that confuses me. Is it downloadable to my computer as a game ON my computer? Looks like some of the funny tarot readings you can get on face book.

Amanda

Well, had to download this one. :D

Did a short 3 card reading for myself:

I don't give a F#*k - Time to detach yourself from a person or situation. Detachment does not mean that you don't care, it means that you are centered and non-reactive and better equipped in life.

Sh#*ty - Have you been feeling a little moody lately? Time to look into the root cause. Contributing factors could be a poor diet, alcohol, hidden emotions, stress, trauma or hormones.

F#*k Head - If you are surrounded by unsupportive people, look within and ask yourself... 'Am I supporting myself?' You may discover you are the root cause of this. Start believing in yourself and see how the world changes.

My commentary: I definitely do need to detach from my work situation a bit more. I do care about it, but I need to not care so much -- it's making me feel pretty shitty. :D I am mostly surrounded by unsupportive people in an unsupportive atmosphere... and my support for them/it is getting lost in the chaos. So, yeah -- the question of 'Am I supporting myself?' is relevant... because I'm sticking with a situation that isn't really working for me.

My quick view on this deck is that it seems to be a nice little 'vent' deck to challenge you with the obvious, and it does have the feel of something a little more heartfelt behind it. Like, light-hearted tough love so you can laugh at yourself a bit. The app has some flaws, it doesn't flow extremely easily (have to keep hitting the Back button, rather than just tapping the screen to flip the cards and whatnot), and in general the color scheme of the background and the cards is a little to close to each other.

But for 2 bucks, I like its flair. I feel the same way about swear words, and we should be using them more often to express ourselves. :D

ETA: Husband likes the card he got: F**k them - Perhaps it's time to review your situation. You have choices; accept it, change it or walk away! -- Very straight to the point, husband was nodding and might download it now. LOL

Something else though this app seems to freeze up and go to a black screen between choosing the card and choosing how many cards you want, 1 or 3. That seems a bit backwards to me as well... should probably be choosing the number of cards before choosing the cards.

Also, something with ALL apps I've noticed it seems, is I wish people took a little more time to make sure they are spelling and punctuating correctly. :D I don't always spell or punctuate correctly, but I'd be getting a second or third pair of eyes to have a look before publishing. :)