The Tarot of Perfection: A Book of Tarot Tales

BrightEye

... by Rachel Pollack. Has anyone read this? If so, can you recommend it?

nisaba

I haven't read this book at all, but I have read others of her books, and I can offer an opinion of her as a Tarot writer generally.

Rachel is literate and poetic, and has a real feel for Tarot. She does NOT dumb things down to make them easier for the reader - she respects her reader enough to expect them to be able to think.

She has a few bees in her bonnet, but then, don't we all? You very quickly work out what her own quirks are. I've never met a Tarot book by her (or in fact a poem by her, haven't sampled her thriller fiction yet) that I didn't like. She is a mammoth source of interesting information.

Disa

I've read the first few stories in it. I suppose it depends on the type of writing you like. I find her writing very magical and quite engaging. Almost from another time period. I look forward to reading the rest of the stories.

214red

read part of it, but didnt finish it. I found it a bit to whismical for me, thats just personal preference. I have previously read 78 degrees of wisdom and liked half of the book, i think its just not my style of writing...saying that i still think 78 is a must have for any tarot beginner

Cerulean

She says she uses the Fairy Tale Tarot by MRP as well as other decks

in developing her stories.

I vaguely thought that some of her passages might have been inspired by some of the pictures in the Fairy Tale Tarot from Magical Realist Press. I couldn't say which tales might have fed into her imaginative twists.

But I liked it overall, as it felt curious, inventive and very tarot-related to me. Even if it was fantasy.

Cerulean

Patrick Booker

The image on the front looks as if it is based upon 'The Sea of Logos' oracle:-
http://www.magic-realist.com/

I liked it - all those odd connections and strange transformations that turn out to be just what's needed - somewhere.

F.M. Tarot

Patrick Booker said:
The image on the front looks as if it is based upon 'The Sea of Logos' oracle:-
http://www.magic-realist.com/

I liked it - all those odd connections and strange transformations that turn out to be just what's needed - somewhere.

Yes it is actually (I meant it's an actual image from the oracle), Rachel Pollack is working closely with the Magic Realist Studio team in design and concept for the See Of Logos!

Hedera

I really liked most of the stories; it's a very lively collection.

I like Ms Pollack's fiction much more than her non-fiction, in general.

Aerin

If you like stories and myths then it is well worth a go.

If you are expecting something more factual and teaching tarot, then this isn't it.

I like stories myself :D and Alex's illustrations are very evocative.

Patrick Booker

After this, I read the book again, and I still like it. There is a book called 'Tarot Tales' by Rachel Pollack and Caitlin Matthews, which consists of a collection of short stories based on Tarot spreads and images. Some of the contributors are writers on Tarot and related subjects, some are science fiction writers. Might well appeal to anyone who likes 'The Tarot of Perfection'.