Time In A Bottle - The Visconti Pierpont Morgan

Rosanne

If you were take this the theory that Trionfi speaks of here (5X14)and look at the interpretation of the 14 Trumps of Bembo........

http://geocities.com/autorbis/pbm14new.html

Could you see these cards as a visual description of the theory?

Firstly I do not think the Devil and the Tower were there, but that is another topic; and I have not included these two cards in the idea. I also have visually come to slightly different placement than the one shown on the trionfi site.

Giordano Berti (Tarot Historian)was invited, as special guest, at the third World Tarot Congress, in Chicago (May 10 to 14 2001), were he delivered a long conference titled "The Babel of Tarot", or the evolution of the 22 allegoric Triumph cards as a transformation into an esoteric language where he said...
Even in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries, when the Tarots were used for a simple game of chance, there were writers who sensed in these figures a more profound meaning than that attributed to them by the players of this gambling game.

For example, the Italian jurist Francesco Piscina, in his opera “Speech on the order of the images of the Tarots”, published in 1565, affirmed that the Tarots were “hieroglyphic” illustrations that contained many moral teachings of the Catholic faith.
Maybe for me it is more about Catholics who played a game of Chance- Time in the World versus Time in the Heavens.

Going by the cards Visually.........

...........................The Magician.............................
............HighPriestess......................The Lovers........
............Empress.............................The Chariot.......
Hermit....Emperor.............................Justice........W.O.F..
............Pope.................................Judgement.........
...........The fool.....The Hanged Man....Death...............

Then later as the Trionfi discussion says came Sun/Moon/Star and Temperance/Strength/World(prudence) which made it another game or one that might well fit in to these ideas from this excellent site..
http://www.geocities.com/cartedatrionfi/
and the message Know your place, Practice the Virtues and trust in God.
Maybe in the 14X5 theory it is more.... from Ecclesiastes 21:11
To everything there is a season... which means there are certain circumstances when a particular action is appropriate, with the implication that a particular action may not be done at any time or place in the varying seasons of Human existence- or a game of Cards :D

If you look at the 14 cards of the Visconti you will see that visually or artistically they have these differences that can devide them into the diagramm that is on Trionfi.
4 Throned Persons on platforms + plus Hermit all 'Big people' - same proportions etc.
5 'little people' cards showing Destiny or in the cards.
Magician stands alone in image.
3 cards with blue hills- different scenery showing 'from afar'
They are the Fool, The Hanged Man, and the Death card.

Adversaries to time in cards..Time and tide waits no man- Know the time and play smart- and best of all maybe...
Time shall unfold what plaited cunning hides...
Take a look at the cards from the Visconti and see..... maybe?

~Rosanne

Rosanne

Perhaps.. The Angel Judgement became position XX = 20 because it was a practical idea of easier counting rather than the card depicts final Salvation.
Adding the 14 cards with Judgement/Angel as 20 you get 100 points.
Then when the other 6 cards were added they totalled
Star17+ Moon18 +Sun19 +Strength11+Temperance14+ World/Prudence21 =100 points. Total of of points 200.
In early decks you find that the Hermit was 11 and the Angel/Judgement 19.

It seems to me this is important.
Judgement/Angel became position 20 XX because of the points awarded it- not it's theological basis or Salvation aspect.
~Rosanne

Rosanne

To take this points system further...
Ace to 10 points at face value (1+2+3+4 etc) =55 points X 4 suits = 220 points
16 Courts at 5 points each = 80 points.

The 20 Trumps with Judgement at 20 points = 200 points
That's 500 points! Maybe they played a version of 500! :D

I like this 5X14 theory- much better than I ever did before- and it shows a progression to the Tarot we have now and the numerical position each trump has now.........Then in came the Devil and the Tower or they decided to use them elsewhere.... what to do with 31 points? But then again the Visconti players did not have to worry about that!.
~Rosanne