Viewing the Cards

Chanel

I have a question for everyone, but in particular, those that have already self published a tarot deck.

I've been toying with the idea of putting all the card images on my website. I would like to hear your views, either for or again, that idea. I lean more towards the idea that people want to see the images before they buy a deck. But my partner thinks people want something to look forward to, and shouldn't see all the images up front.

Any opinions?

gregory

Both those are valid. Some here want to see every card before they buy; others (like me) like some surprises - so I just wouldn't look; that is an option I can take if you have them all up there; those who want to see can't opt to look at cards that aren't there !

But one major caution - some here have found their images have been stolen. Make sure they are either watermarked or very low res or make them TOTALLY un-downloadable (there is a way but I don't know what it is !)

canid

I prefer to see all the images before I purchase a deck. Plus, keep in mind it's very difficult to make a workable deck at home. If you're concerned, you could always superimpose a ghosted word, like *SAMPLE* on each card. Somebody'd have to be pretty determined to PhotoShop that off each card.

baba-prague

For our last decks, we showed all the cards at low resolution with a roll-over that brought up a smaller crop at higher res. This let people see the kind of detail we put into the images, but without being able to download a whole high res card. It seemed to work well and I think it was popular. In our experience, potential buyers do like to see all, or nearly all, the cards.

But - once the deck is published, bear in mind that anyone who wants to pirate an image will just scan it. Though of course that's not so easy as just taking it from a website.

Chanel

Thank you for your replies :)

Your opinions seem to echo my own.. so, I have decided to put all the cards on my website. :) http://www.akingsjourneytarot.com if you'd like to see them.