Want to get back into tarot

Shadow Wolf

I haven't done a tarot reading in quite some time. I've been relying on my
oracle decks. I stopped doing tarot readings because I still have to rely on the guide book for meanings. I've tried intuitive readings w/o the benefit of the guide book, but the spreads just stare back at me. I get nothing.

Any suggestions?

Water Lady

I feel I have the same issues but am finally getting some insight occasionally.
Try describing the card, if there is a person describe how they look, how would they feel.
And keep studing the meanings. I think they are important background for the intuition.
Also I read everything I can on this site, including other readings and what they got for card meanings and then I try and look at the cards and see how did they get that?
I went into my excel and made a spread sheet for all the cards (lots of time - but I learned lots) I can add meanings to that sheet as I learn more and I have a 3 page item instead of fumbling with a book or books.

Lots of practice
Good luck

raeanne

Hi Shadow Wolf,
I occasionally put my decks aside for one reason or the other (usually because other interests need attention). When I come back to Tarot after a break, I take one card each day and spend time thinking about that card. I have a Tarot journal and I re-read my notes about that card. I look at the image and write down all the colors, symbols, and details I see. (If you take a blank sheet and cover the card and then slowly lower it so only a little bit of the Tarot card appears at a time it is easier to catch all the details.) Then I ask myself what that color, symbol, or detail might mean and write that down too. Sometimes I have to skip over a few of the symbols and come back to them later. Then I pretend I am the person in the picture (if there is a person on the card). I stand the way the person stands. Take the RWS Fool card for example. If you take a meter stick (or yard stick) and put it over your shoulder and then take something in your other hand and pretend it is the rose and stand the way the Fool is standing, you will be surprised at the feeling that comes over you! You can’t help but feel that carefree attitude that the Fool represents. In your mind’s eye pretend to see what the Fool sees. After I finish that, I try to think of times in my life when I have been The Fool; starting off on a new journey or ignoring advice and warning from friends and family. Next I think of people I know who have been ‘The Fool’ and also characters from books, movies, or TV shows that exemplify the card. Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz when she first lands in Oz, Luke Skywalker when he still lived with Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen are two examples. By this time, I pretty much have reacquainted myself with that card. The next day I take a different card and do the same thing with it. After 78 days I no longer need to look up anything in a book. I have tried doing two cards in one day and, depending on how rusty I am, that may or may not work too well. I usually try to stick with only one card a day. Two and a half months goes pretty fast. If you don’t have a Tarot journal, I strongly suggest you start one! Actually, I have two journals; one for card meanings and insights and the other for my readings. It does take some time to write things down but the end result is something you will cherish!