When to Interpret Court Card as Person or Querent?

TayReadsTarot

Hello, all =]

I'm finding myself often confused as to whether or not to interpret a court card in terms of the querent or a person in their life. For instance, if the King of Wands is in the past position, and it's a very general reading, would the characteristics or circumstances of the KOW be applied to the querent or to a person of their past? It's all very fuzzy to me. So far, I usually apply the court cards to the actual querent as I interpret them as "describers" of "personal characteristics," unless the court card is specifically in a position that intends to look at other people. What about you?

flipperjane

Hello, all =]

I'm finding myself often confused as to whether or not to interpret a court card in terms of the querent or a person in their life. For instance, if the King of Wands is in the past position, and it's a very general reading, would the characteristics or circumstances of the KOW be applied to the querent or to a person of their past? It's all very fuzzy to me. So far, I usually apply the court cards to the actual querent as I interpret them as "describers" of "personal characteristics," unless the court card is specifically in a position that intends to look at other people. What about you?

Ah this is indeed a difficult question and there's not an easy answer. To an extent it does depend on where the Court Card is in the spread and what the position means - if anything. With multiple court cards I often decide that several of them are just the characteristics of the court card rather than indicating an actual person. For example - I've been doing a 7 card spread and the 4th card is New Skills required for success. So if I say got the King of Swords here I wouldn't say it was a person I would say that the skills needed were an analytical mind, rational and considered judgement, caution in business, tenacity - things like that. In the same way that Pages can indicate a message, a young achiever, a birth. all you can do is keep reading, keep doing your best and making notes of what other people say and what occurs in your own experience - they do fall into place eventually I promise.

Lunae

1 word: Intuition

nisaba

For instance, if the King of Wands is in the past position, and it's a very general reading, would the characteristics or circumstances of the KOW be applied to the querent or to a person of their past?
Well, it would obviously apply to the past. It might indicate energy, dynamism, ambition, workoholism ... it doesn't have to describe a person, it describes the emotional truth of the past.

So far, I usually apply the court cards to the actual querent as I interpret them as "describers" of "personal characteristics," unless the court card is specifically in a position that intends to look at other people. What about you?

Even if it is in a position that intends to look at other people, it still describes more than "a tall dark handsome stranger". It's about the emotional truth of the person, what they are like, what they do, how they affect others.

PAMUYA

1 word: Intuition

This decribes it for me. Most cases it is a person,at least in my experience. It still boils down to your intuition, what is it telling you?

TayReadsTarot

Even if it is in a position that intends to look at other people, it still describes more than "a tall dark handsome stranger". It's about the emotional truth of the person, what they are like, what they do, how they affect others.

Absolutely. I agree with looking past the actual physical characteristics of the card (i.e., dark hair, handsome, white man, etc...), and more on the qualities/emotional aspects and whatnot.

Thank you for your valued response! =]

TayReadsTarot

Thanks everyone for your input! I welcome any additional insight from others!

jenessa

I'm finding myself often confused as to whether or not to interpret a court card in terms of the querent or a person in their life.
Why not ask the Querent? A reading is an exchange between the reader & the client, so it's OK to describe the attributes of the card, and then ask the client if it could apply to someone they know, to try and narrow things down. Not to mention, that this is a good way to get a dialogue going between yourself and the person your reading for.

Indeed, whenever i'm reading for someone and a court comes up, I always point-out how difficult the courts are to pin down, and then explain that this is because they can represent various things such as a person (themselves or someone else), or personality traits that could be important re: the subject matter being inquired into, etc.

& I also begin my readings by telling my querents that every now and again I might ask for their feedback about something, because arriving at a correct interpretation depends on context, and they know their life situation, whereas I do not.

Not to mention, that every now and again, I explain that getting a reading can be thought of in terms of this example: "you wouldn't go to a doctor and tell them your sick and expect them to cure you, without describing your symptoms". "So depending on what i'm seeing in the cards, I may need your input".

Though having said that, I don't ask my querents many questions, but rather I only do this on a "need to know" basis. Or rather should I say, if i need to know something, i ask them. If not, then i do what i do, and then ask them if what i've described has relevance?

HeatherRose

I too tend to have a tougher time with the court cards.
For me, MOST of the time (not always) the Kings and Queens represent people, and the Pages and Knights will talk about the environment.
However, there are times when the court cards will land in a position in a spread, and a K or Q will not be a person, but other meanings.
And there are times when the person I'm reading for will have the Pages and Knights representing their children or young ones in their lives.
I agree with Lunae, your intuition will let you know...or you can just talk it out with the querent and find out that way.