Which one is intercepted, and is there a name for the other?

Grigori

I'm trying to understand the structure of intercepted houses. I'm unclear if the "intercepted" part is the house contained entirely within one sign (e.g. my twelth house is entirely in Taurus), or is it the sign contained entirely within one house (e.g my Cancer entirely within the Second house).

Presumably one of these is intercepted, and the other is something else I cannot find a name for. :confused:

dadsnook2000

Its the house with . . .

similia, it is the house with a whole sign contained within it. This implies that a degree of complexity is involved as the house has one sign on the cusp, one sign within it, and ends with another sign.

Your second house then has Gemini on the cusp, Cancer intercepted (hidden) and Leo ending its span of influence. How do you interprete the effects of this house as it is expressed in your life? Consider having a Gemini cusp which gives the house its character but having a planet or two in the Cancer sign area of that house. How would you think that those planets would express themselves -- Gemini-like, Cancer-like, both signs influencing them, energies expressed as Cancer-like but with a Gemini orientation? Or would you think about them mainly in terms of the house or area-of-life meaning? These are all good questions to consider. Dave

Grigori

Thanks so much Dave!

So Cancer and Capricorn are my intercepted signs, and areas I need to work on/develop. There are no planets in those signs/houses in my chart (which is just as well cause I'm not ready to look at planets yet! Maybe next week, or a bit later than that even :D )

I will give some thought to how the combination of Gemini, as well as Intercepted Cancer and Leo in the 2nd House combine for me. And on the other side Sagittarius, as well as Intercepted Capricorn and Aquarius in the 8th House.

I'm just realising that this means 6 of my houses (half of them!), contain 3 signs within them, 2 of the houses containing intercepted signs. hmmm... Its interesting that the areas I need to develop contain no planets. I wonder how this will affect the process for me. How planets influence things is next weeks lesson for me, so maybe I can ask a few more questions after that :)

dadsnook2000

similia

What's a house to do? No planets? No expression? Half of your chart is unmotivated? Well, it's not really like that.

Some astrologers would say, "Look at the sign rulers of those house-signs. They will express themselves through those houses." That may be true for some people, but different people respond more to some things in their chart and less/not-at-all to other things.

Some astrologers would say, "Wait until something walks into that area (transits) and see what happens." But, then, planets tend to apply themselves primarily in terms of their natal meanings first, and then in terms of aspects and transits/aspects second. So, you may or may not always get a clear example.

It is going to take you some time to reflect on what has happened in your life when major/outer planets transited these areas before in your life. Study this stuff. Then you will find out how you express and experience these houses and any transits through them. Dave

Grigori

dadsnook2000 said:
What's a house to do? No planets? No expression? Half of your chart is unmotivated? Well, it's not really like that.

Its interesting that there are no planets, because the first thing I thought when realising I am "supposed" to develop in Cancer and Capricorn areas, is "Why the heck would I want to do that?!?" LOL I guess I don't really prize the qualities of those signs very highly/at all. Although the houses that the signs are intercepted in are important ones to me. Perhaps they have become important because the intercepted houses create difficulties for me in those areas... hmmm

dadsnook2000 said:
Some astrologers would say, "Look at the sign rulers of those house-signs. They will express themselves through those houses." That may be true for some people, but different people respond more to some things in their chart and less/not-at-all to other things.

The ruling planets do invite a big contrast. The Moon and Saturn themes have both played big roles in my life and are main motivators for many of my actions. (Well, more actually I am motivated to move towards the Moon to avoid Saturn :D ) I'm really looking forward to understanding how this fits in astrologically, and how the transits fit in. Again the reverse of the above, my planets congregate in areas that I do prize. AWESOME! :D

I'd really love to hear about some other folks intercepted houses if anyone wants to share :)