Whoa did I read 6/Cups RX as an empath?

intuitivetarot

I pulled 6 of cups reversed as the 3rd and last clarification card. I didn't use RWS this time. I used my Tarot Nova deck, which depicts 6 cups sitting on or around a well, against which a boy leans with a cloud over his head. When I usually pull this card upright, I suddenly feel sorry for him; he looks like he had been through a lot, like he had a rough childhood, and he was/is deeply hurt. But when I pulled it as reversed for this spread and looked at the card, I just felt SO sad. I can't remember if I also felt protective. But my first instinct was leaving the past behind to move forward (like a fresh start with the same person). Or did I misread and is 6/Cups Rx always negative?

tarot_quest

The context is interesting but you did not say what was the exact question...

Thirteen

The way back home is blocked

But my first instinct was leaving the past behind to move forward (like a fresh start with the same person). Or did I misread and is 6/Cups Rx always negative?
Often a card "rx" means that the energy is blocked. As 6/Cups is about "known joy"—comfort zones, or revisiting old friends, thinking about the past, those kinds of things, the card "rx" could mean that you currently can't do this. The way back home is blocked.

Realizing this would certainly make any of us very sad.

One example: an old friend you used to talk with when you were troubled and who always made you feel better has changed and isn't at all like the friend you knew. You have a moment when you think, "I'd love to call X" but then remember that X isn't like they were and you can't. The 6/Cups urge to go back to that "known joy" is blocked, and you feel sad...also unable to ease the problem with that solution.

I think the Pixar Film "Inside Out" really captures the 6/Cups rx—the Character of "Joy" is faced with the falling apart of "Happy" places in the girl, Riley. They are going away in part because the girl no longer lives where she used to live, in part because she's growing up, and can't take delight in the things she did as a little kid. This makes "Joy" (and Riley) incredibly sad. The difference is that if you get the 6/Cups rx, there might be a way to restore it to upright and so "get back" to that kind of happiness. Other cards, like the Death card, would say that there is no way to restore it, it's gone. So, sad as the 6/Cups rx might be, there is an upside. What made you happy isn't gone, you just can't get to it at the moment.

intuitivetarot

The context is interesting but you did not say what was the exact question...

Thanks, tarot_quest for asking for clarification. My question was, is there ever (or always) a sad or negative tone to 6/Cups RX since the card instigates a really sad feeling? Sorry for the confusion!

intuitivetarot

One example: an old friend you used to talk with when you were troubled and who always made you feel better has changed and isn't at all like the friend you knew. You have a moment when you think, "I'd love to call X" but then remember that X isn't like they were and you can't. The 6/Cups urge to go back to that "known joy" is blocked, and you feel sad...also unable to ease the problem with that solution.

I think the Pixar Film "Inside Out" really captures the 6/Cups rx—the Character of "Joy" is faced with the falling apart of "Happy" places in the girl, Riley. They are going away in part because the girl no longer lives where she used to live, in part because she's growing up, and can't take delight in the things she did as a little kid. This makes "Joy" (and Riley) incredibly sad. The difference is that if you get the 6/Cups rx, there might be a way to restore it to upright and so "get back" to that kind of happiness. Other cards, like the Death card, would say that there is no way to restore it, it's gone. So, sad as the 6/Cups rx might be, there is an upside. What made you happy isn't gone, you just can't get to it at the moment.

Wow, thanks, Thirteen, that example pretty much nails it. It was clarifying King of Coins, which I interpreted as stability, loyalty, and steady progress. I keep getting King of Coins. So that's why I was trying to clarify this card. Could 6/Cups RX be that the person at hand is finally ready to talk and I just need to forgive them in order to restore the card to upright? Are there any cards that would indicate needing to overcome reliving a (similar) situation in the deeper past?