Working with oppositions.

LovelyMissAries

Hello all,

I have a Moon in Taurus in the 11th house, in opposition with Pluto in Scorpio in the 5th house (although, I will say it looks to be almost on the cusp of the 6th...) I was wondering if you'd be so kind as to help me understand how this affects me everyday (if it does) and how people with this opposition work with it? There's got to be an advantage in there somewhere... (edit: I suppose a better way to ask is what are some examples of Moon in Opposition of Pluto being displayed?)

I'm learning astrology little by little so here's my stab at it: The opposition creates a push/pull tension between planets, and with it being between my moon and pluto ... I think it has something to do with transforming/regenerating emotionally. Perhaps my friends, and romantic relationships will transform/change and regenerate the way I feel about things/people/life in general? I would also guess an opposition between Taurus/Scorpio involves a super amount of will and determination. Maybe it's hard to get the moon to change her way of feeling about things so this aspect could cause someone to be in a rut for far too long?

Edit:

** Starlight09
** April 7th, 1989
** 9:56 A.M.
** Henderson, Nevada, United States 114.98 W/36.039 N
** West, Pacific Standard Time

Sun: Aries - 17.51
Moon: Taurus - 9.55
Mercury: Aries - 21.16
Venus: Aries - 18.33
Mars: Gemini - 16.45
Jupiter: Gemini - 4.44
Saturn: Capricorn - 13.44
Uranus: Capricorn - 5.20
Neptune: Capricorn - 12.23
Pluto: Scorpio - 14.31
Lillith: Libra - 6.34
ASC Node: Pisces - 4.11

Ascendant: Gemini - 23.46
II - Cancer - 15.22
III - Leo - 7.14
IV - Virgo - 3.01
V - Libra - 6.02
VI - Scorpio - 15.45
VII - Sagittarius - 23.46
VIII - Capricorn - 15.22
IX - Aquarius - 7.14
Midheaven - Pisces - 3.01
XI - Aries - 6.02
XII - Taurus - 15.45

Another edit: This is the chart data I got from one noted website, but the original post info was derived from a different one but is a house or two off from this previous data. Which one is applicable to use?

dadsnook2000

A problem here

Moon---Pluto combinations are not something easily discussed without having a greater context to consider them within. I would suggest you list your chart data so that the whole picture can be used to assess what your Moon-Pluto opposition might be prone to express. Dave

Minderwiz

Starlight09 said:
Hello all,

Edit:

** Starlight09
** April 7th, 1989
** 9:56 A.M.
** Henderson, Nevada, United States 114.98 W/36.039 N
** West, Pacific Standard Time

Another edit: T

This is the chart data I got from one noted website, but the original post info was derived from a different one but is a house or two off from this previous data. Which one is applicable to use?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by your last paragraph. Based on the birth data you provide above I get the same Ascendant, MC and planetary positions as you. The intermediate house cusps depend on which House system is used, so mine differ a little, but you should not get an error of two houses anywhere, and even a one house error should be where a planet is very near to a cusp in one system and moves to the next or previous house when the system is changed. It's possible that you entered the data incorrectly first time round and that would give an error but it's more likely that there was an error with the website's calculation if you get significantly large house variations.

I don't use Pluto at all, but I would back up Dave's comment by saying that for ANY planet, it's role has to be seen in the context of the whole chart. Looking at one relationship in isolation can be misleading.

Given the relative speed of movement of the Moon and Pluto, I'd also only give an aspect weight if it was quite close - here it's over four and a half degrees, so even if I did allow for Pluto, I'd would not see it as one of the strong features of your chart - though clearly that's a debatable matter.

LovelyMissAries

Why not use Pluto? Isn't it one our karmic planets?

Here are my chart aspects & degrees:

Sun Conjunction Mercury - 3.25
Sun Conjunction Venus - 0.42
Sun Sextile Mars - 1.07
Sun Square Saturn - 4.07
Sun Square Neptune - 5.28
Moon Trine Saturn - 3.49
Moon Trine Uranus - 4.35
Moon Trine Neptune - 2.28
Moon Opposition Pluto - 4.36
Mercury Conjunct Venus - 2.43
Mercury Sextile Asc. - 2.30
Venus Sextile Mars - 1.49
Venus Square Saturn - 4.49
Mars Conj. Asc. - 7.02
Jupiter Square Midheaven - 1.43
Saturn Conjunction Uranus - 8.24
Saturn Conjunction Neptune - 1.21
Saturn Sextile Pluto - 0.47
Uranus Conjunction Neptune - 7.03
Uranus Sextile Midheaven - 1.43
Neptune Sextile Pluto - 2.08

LovelyMissAries

Minderwiz said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by your last paragraph. Based on the birth data you provide above I get the same Ascendant, MC and planetary positions as you. The intermediate house cusps depend on which House system is used, so mine differ a little, but you should not get an error of two houses anywhere, and even a one house error should be where a planet is very near to a cusp in one system and moves to the next or previous house when the system is changed. It's possible that you entered the data incorrectly first time round and that would give an error but it's more likely that there was an error with the website's calculation if you get significantly large house variations.

Well... I went to CafeAstrology.com and put in the correct info, and it shows Pluto in the same position as it does at Astro.com, although in the general report Cafeastrology.com doesn't describe what house Pluto lies in... Astro.com gives me interpretations for both Pluto in the fifth, and sixth house, so I was just wondering which to abide by as I entered the information correct in both of them.

Given the relative speed of movement of the Moon and Pluto, I'd also only give an aspect weight if it was quite close - here it's over four and a half degrees, so even if I did allow for Pluto, I'd would not see it as one of the strong features of your chart - though clearly that's a debatable matter.

I don't know much about degrees yet, or 'orbs'. What is defined as being 'close'? I suppose anything under 4 degrees would be heavier than other aspects?

Minderwiz

Starlight09 said:
Well... I went to CafeAstrology.com and put in the correct info, and it shows Pluto in the same position as it does at Astro.com, although in the general report Cafeastrology.com doesn't describe what house Pluto lies in... Astro.com gives me interpretations for both Pluto in the fifth, and sixth house, so I was just wondering which to abide by as I entered the information correct in both of them.

There isn't a 'correct' answer to this, it's a matter of judgement and personal methodology. On all the major House systems bar Campanus and Whole Signs, Pluto comes out in the fifth House (in the above two, it's in the sixth).

So which House system you choose is the first factor determining its position. But there's also a second factor - many Astrologers will allow some leeway on the House boundaries, treating any planet within 5 degrees of the next House cusp, as being in that House. So some Astrologers would treat Pluto as sixth, even though it appears to be in the fifth but within those 5 degrees. This approach is not universal by any means today (though I use it) and is never used with Whole Sign Houses (and I've not seen it done with Equal Houses.

Starlight09 said:
I don't know much about degrees yet, or 'orbs'. What is defined as being 'close'? I suppose anything under 4 degrees would be heavier than other aspects?

Yes, the nearer the two planets are to perfecting the aspect (in this case the nearer they are to 180 degrees) the stronger the aspect (that can be modified to allow for application and separation - applying aspects are stronger than separating ones)

Starlight09 said:
Why not use Pluto? Isn't it one our karmic planets?

Karma is an Indian concept and Vedic (Indian) Astrologers overwhelmingly DON'T use Pluto (at all) - Western New Age Astrologers, however, do. You'll find quite a few threads concerning Pluto (and the other outer planets), and this isn't really the place to renew that debate - especially as I have a New Year's resolution to avoid getting involved in discussions about Pluto. Suffice it to say that there are a minority (but a slowly growing minority) of Astrologers who question much of what was taken for granted between about 1900 and 1990. There's no uniformity of views here - some, such as Dave and myself, question the definition and use of Signs, especially the use of Sun Signs.

However Dave and myself don't agree on other challenges to modern Astrology, such as the use of the outer planets and the dominance of Psychology in modern practice.

For the moment that's not something that should concern you too much - just be aware that such a debate exists. When (and if) you come to progress from 'beginner' to 'intermediate' studies, then it becomes a little more important.