Your favorite Tarot booklet & why?

cheimonette

I'm in the process of finishing up my own deck, and I am starting the accompanying book. I'd love to take a look at everyone's favorite tarot book. What did you like? Are there keywords for use in readings? Long descriptions of symbols in-depth? Sample spreads? Card images/no card images? Any and all suggestions are very welcome!

rwcarter

Assuming your deck follows one of the main schools of tarot, I have a general sense of what the symbols mean. But I love to know what the symbols mean to the author/artist who used them. Did you include (insert object here) because it was pretty or does it have some meaning to you that might not be readily apparent to me?

Personally, I feel if there are going to be keywords any where, please let them be in the companion book and not on the cards themselves! Sure, list them in the book. I probably won't use them, but others will.

A new and original spread or two is always welcome in a book.

Again, I'm more interested in reading what the cards mean to you than I am in reading a rehash of RWS, Golden Dawn, Thoth or Marseilles meanings.

Card images (color if possible) are always nice. Big enough to be able to see details, but they don't have to be big enough to photocopy to make a bootleg version of the deck. ;)

In short, the best companion books reflect the author's take on things and aren't a rehashing of things I already know. If you're going to rehash, save yourself the trouble and do a LWB instead.

Rodney

cheimonette

Thanks, Carter, that's incredibly useful! I don't actually find keywords helpful, so I was not planning to use them anyway. My deck has a traditional structure, but I've used many unique symbols and found special connections between cards that I haven't seen anywhere else, so I think it's important to (short-windedly) describe that.

Although I am not crazy about keywords (I take a holistic approach to a reading, where the meanings of cards depend a good deal on the other cards present, plus I like to leave a window open to spontaneous, intuitive interpretation), I would like those new to tarot not to be totally lost.

How to do this without keywords, though?

FireHermit

I agree I actually read lwbs that have more of a personal touch - the authors journey and take on the cards that is not just regurgitated stuff that you can find in a thousand other decks.

I really like the idea you put, of describing some relationships between certain cards too!

In my experience I usually do check for a new spread in my lwb so I think if you put some spread in there unique to your deck then that would most likely be quite popular.

Good luck!

jema

One of my fave booklets to come with a deck is the one Emily Carding did for Tarot of the Sidhe.
Personal with a poem for each card that brings fresh insight.