A question! Concerning Tarot

Princesslulu

Could anyone tell me the oldest known Tarot deck available or ever known, because I am writting a novel and need the information as it is an important part to the plot. Any assistance is greatly appriciated. Thank you

Major Tom

Quote:princesslulu (20 Sep, 2001 15:09):
Could anyone tell me the oldest known Tarot deck available or ever known, because I am writting a novel and need the information as it is an important part to the plot. Any assistance is greatly appriciated. Thank you

Tarot were the original playing cards in Europe - the standard playing card deck we know today is decended from Tarot. According to Roger Tilley in his book Playing Cards the first written reference to the cards was in 1377 - written in latin by a German monk in a Swiss monastery and the monk was only reporting what he had learned about the cards }> He was describing a deck that was Italian in origin }>

So I suppose the answer to your question is nobody really knows - but you're sure to find a lot of theories }>

tarotbear

If you check the Kaplan 'Tarot Encyclopedias', the oldest surviving cards that are dated go back just over 500 years; there are different versions, but the name Sfzora (the Italian family there were supposedly painted for) is in the title. These cards of themselves are still surrounded in mystery. Some are in the Bienieke rare book library at Yale. If you contact US Games they could steer you in the right direction. www.usgamesinc.com