A tarot history quiz

DoctorArcanus

Excellent test!
13 correct answers: 4 and 14 wrong.

I agree that the Levi question is quite interesting. I would like to know more of this author. I think his Chariot card is quite good.

I would also like to read Moakley sooner or later. Is her book still around?

gregory said:
11. But I don't agree with some of the answers given, even though I knew that was what I was "supposed" to say, so I did ! :cool4:

Gregory, I would be interested in knowing more of what you think.
In my opinion, some of the questions are stated in an exceedingly strong form. E.g. "Tarot was invented in Renaissance Italy"; while I approve "The earliest surviving Tarot cards date from the 15th century" ("The earliest KNOWN surviving Tarot cards date from the 15th century" would have been even better :) )

Marco

Netzach

I got 13. Like Gregory, I answered what I thought I was "supposed" to say. I don't think one can say categorically that tarot was invented in Renaissance Italy . . . it seems likely but there's no positive proof one way or the other. I got the Voyager question wrong and (whoops!) the first question!

Sophie

Annabelle4 said:
I got 14 of the 15 questions correct. The one I missed was question 15 about the Voyager tarot - I own it, but its been a long time since I looked at it.
Same here - except that I never even looked at it.

But like gregory, I don't necessarily agree with all the answers. I just answered what I knew James Revak had written on the matter :D

jmd

Moakley's book is unfortunately out of print... but I have heard it said that - well... it may in the next few years be re-printed in a smallish run again.

chellemarie

I thought I knew zero about tarot history. I answered nine correctly, so I'm pretty pleased. :)

DoctorArcanus

chellemarie said:
I thought I knew zero about tarot history. I answered nine correctly, so I'm pretty pleased. :)

Ciao Chellemarie,
nine is a good score, far better than what I would have done one year ago, when I was new to ATF. I hope to meet you again here in Tarot History and Iconography :)

Marco

jackdaw*

jmd said:
Moakley's book is unfortunately out of print... but I have heard it said that - well... it may in the next few years be re-printed in a smallish run again.
Well THAT would be a blessing! I have been longing to see what she has to say, but it's a hard one to get your hands on.

Ross G Caldwell

QueenofPentacles said:
Well THAT would be a blessing! I have been longing to see what she has to say, but it's a hard one to get your hands on.

Yeah, I'd hope some guerrilla printer would put it out... AFAIK, Stuart Kaplan owns the rights. That shouldn't stop people from making copies and distributing them to needy others, though. I'm sure you could get away with a smallish print run in another country, too.

For people afraid of the word "copyright" - remember that "reselling" without permission is also often expressly prohibited, yet we don't see commandos raiding used book shops.

tmgrl2

I incorrectly clicked on one, too. One that asked which is NOT...those always get me, and I rush....just what I taught my students not to do!

Fun, though!